Please sign in to post.

Heart of Italy - Vegan

Waiting for 2023 dates to open, and will be booking Heart of Italy with my daughter. She eats vegan. Wondering if anyone has done this tour, eating vegan. Any tips (reassurance) would be most appreciated.

Posted by
27039 posts

I believe the topic has come up before (I know eating vegan in Italy, in general, has); you may be able to find earlier threads via the Search box.

Posted by
8331 posts

I can't say about this tour, but I do know that one other tour I was on, the tour guide alerted the restaurants for group dinners and they did the best they could.

Posted by
2424 posts

I am in Sicily now and told the guide that I am vegan. I have had my first meal with our group and it was great. They will try to accommodate your daughter if you ask at the first meeting of the tour. The guide wants to know if you have any food allergies, if your vegetarian, etc.

Posted by
13891 posts

Yes! This was my first RS tour and both my brother and I were vegan. The guide was spectacular. There were a few times where things were iffy so she’ll want to make sure she has some back up snacks to fill in if needed.

I also printed out “I am vegan” cards in Italian to use on our own. I downloaded off Happy Cow.

In general as a vegan I’ve had great luck with food on tours.

Posted by
15571 posts

I believe you can also let RS know before your tour starts so they can alert your guide. They certainly make accommodations for dietary restrictions during the tour, though in a few places, the choices may be limited.

Posted by
41 posts

I was vegan the first time I went to Italy. I relaxed my diet just for gelato on the trip. Fortunately, the gelaterias offer vegan sorbettos that are delicious.

Posted by
13891 posts

Fortunately, the gelaterias offer vegan sorbettos that are delicious.

Oh my word yes!! I had the best peach sorbetto ever somewhere in Italy, lol!!

And yes, I indicate on my RS info form that I’m vegan. I also talk with the guide right after the first meet up. I do ask them to let me know if there is a group meal where a vegan selection is not going to work and indicate I can forage on my own. The only time a guide has alerted me was on the Southern England tour when lunch was at a pub on Dartmoor and he wasn’t sure what we were going to be given. It turned out to be a gorgeous salad although we’d come prepared with Kind/Clif bars.

I’m also where I can do a link so here is the link to the translation card. You can get this as an app but I printed it out and taped it to a 3x5 index card. I’ve had a couple of times in Italy where the waiter wanted to take it back to the chef and I’d rather they disappear with the card instead of my phone, lol.

https://www.maxlearning.net/HEALth/V-Cards

https://www.happycow.net/vegtopics/travel

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you so much for all of this! Very helpful and reassuring.

Posted by
823 posts

I was on this tour in 2019. A mother and one adult daughters on the tour were vegetarian while the other adult daughter was vegan. (Coincidentally, we were on the same Adriatic tour a few years before). None of them had any problems during the tour meals.

Posted by
4366 posts

This has come up before, so yes do some search. I believe the concern is that even if it seems vegan, at some point beef or chicken were involved in the preparation.