Please sign in to post.

Heading to Rome 3/9-317 2 adults 2 seniors - Recommend Apartments

I am heading to Rome with my parents in march and am new to Italy. I have been looking at renting a flat in Rome so we can actually cook a little to save some money. There seem to be a million choices on so many websites. From what I have seen so far, most people are staying around the Patheon or Piazza Navona. My parents are older so an elevator is mandatory.
I am alsop curios about transport. I know not all of the metro stations have escalators. Can I find out which ones do? I haven't found that info. Is the metro the easiest or just uses buses?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! I have guide books purchased on my Kindle iPhone app that I am trying to read and will take it with me.

Hector

Posted by
23276 posts

You don't have to worry about the metro and elevators because the metro is limited and you should focus on using the bus and trams. They are much more convenient and go where you need to go. I think people stay every where. We prefer the Termini area because of the access to the public transit, especially buses. However, have no idea of apartment availability in that area. Since many hotels and apartment are in older buildings that have been converted or upgraded finding elevators could be a problem. Also, many will have an elevated entry way which may a dozen or more steps just to get to the elevator. Just ask a lot of questions when renting.

Posted by
646 posts

I know you said that you preferred an apartment,might be difficult to find one with an elevator. We were in Rome in Novemeber and stayed at a lovely b&B (with elevator.) It is called At Your Place and was quite reasonable, located in lovely neighborhood - 10 minute walk to Vatican and convenient to public transportation. Lovely owner and great accommodations. You can get additional info on Trip Advisor.

Posted by
1633 posts

Hector, here's another apartment with an elevator that was listed on the Graffiti Wall under "Heroic B&B Friendliness": http://www.romabandb.it Have fun making lifetime memories with your parents on your trip!

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Hector. I've got just the place. It's called Palazzo Olivia apartments and the location is perfect; right between Piazza Navona & Campo de Fiori. The apartment building has an elevator and the apartments are clean and comfortable. It's on a quiet little street which is literally 30 feet from Corso Vittorio Emmanuele, a major street, on which you'll find a taxi stand, bus stops, atm machines & an internet point (all these things are literally right around the corner from the apartments). If you walk down the street that the apartment is on in the other direction, you will come to a great area full of restaurants, gelaterias, etc. It's only a 5-minute walk to Piazza Navona where we really enjoyed walking around at night with a gelato in hand. Have a wonderful trip. The web site is: http://www.palazzo-olivia.it/

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for the advice I am excited and overwhelmed all at the same time!