Please sign in to post.

Hawaii or Italy for 20th Wedding Anniversary in 2010

Hi there and yes, its a serious question. We are weighing up both places for our big 2-0 next year. Hawaii is in my comfort zone so to speak whereas Italy is outside of it a bit. But, I have travelled in Europe over the years, mostly with the military though last year my wife and I were in Paris for a few days before heading to the uk.
Now I know they are vastly different cultures and to be honest, I was born and raised in the UK and had history, art, culture, well you name it, thrust upon me from an early age.
My wife would like to go somewhere warm and she loved the idea of Hawaii till some friends of our came back from a Best of Italy cruise last week and raved about it.[plus she has mentioned going to Italy in past conversations, she is half Italian]
I had thought of flying to Florence [Statue of David is her favourite piece of sculpture] then onto Montelcipiano and Tuscany for a few days driving before ending in Rome for a week or so.
Hawaii appeals but in a different way, beaches, warmth, different countryside etc. Volcanos etc etc.
I realise I could get some biased posts towards going to Italy, but I am sure there are alot of you who have also travelled to Hawaii and could weigh up the pro's and con's of both places.
Oops, also meant to say, we dont want to bounce around from place to place which is why I limited it to two cities and then some driving in the countryside with side trips via car etc
Many thanks
Pete

Posted by
33 posts

We celebrated our 30th in Italy and had a fabulous time. I have also done numerous trips with the military (as a Reservist to Europe, Far East and Hawaii of course). I would say Italy can offer a lot more for your senses - sights to see, food, wine, history, etc. (Did not get to beach in Italy but I understand there are some great spots in Cinque Terra) Communication is not a big issue, they try their best to help. Transportation is very convenient as you can read on numerous posts at this site. We did in late April - early May to avoid the summer crowd. The major attractions at the big cities were stil crowded but manageable. One of the better part of travelling to Italy is learning

Posted by
34 posts

I don't think you can go wrong with either place ... it just depends what you want ... beach relaxation or the romance of Italian culture. When I went to Italy, I went with a friend and left my husband at home. It's such a romantic culture, I missed him every step of the way (and normally I'm fine traveling without him). The Italians seem to do everything with passion ... love, eat, drink, art, architecture.

So basically, do you want the tropical relaxation or the rich cultural experience.
Why not take 2 trips! 20 years deserves it!

Posted by
204 posts

Never been to Hawaii so cannot comment- but planning our 2nd trip to Italy for 2010 and yes this is a biased opinion. Culture yes, food to die for scenery beautiful. You could land in Florence(culture)2days do Tuscany by car (scenery)3-4 days then head by train to Sorrento/Positano warm(sometimes hot)3 days Capri 1 day we were there in May and it was 85, then back to Rome 3 days history leaving 2 days travel- you have 2 weeks of all three of your criteria(or things that you mentioned. Anyway whatever you decide Happy 20th. We are heading to 40th in 2010.
Needless to say you will be traveling for a few more years.

Posted by
167 posts

This question is close to home because we were planning on our 15th wedding anniversary for Hawaii, too, until I remembered that my wife is half Italian, so we were in the same boat!

We decided to go to Italy instead.

You need to do some introspection of what you "feel" like doing on your trip: What type of trip do you want? Think deeply about that. Do you just want to be sedentary and be on the beach and swim and snorkle? Or do you want to do a lot of walking and eat truly delicious food?

Hope that helps.

Pete & Robyn

France + Italy, July 2009

Posted by
101 posts

I probably should have mentioned, we arent necessarily beach people, like to be reasonably active but we do enjoy sitting watching the world go by while sipping a coffee or beer etc. Though in my research for Hawaii I have seen lots to do [Volcano National Park, Observatory tours etc] I know there is a lot more in Italy and certainly more scenic drives [not confined to an Island so to speak] but the comments so far are certainly helping!
My one concern is the language barrier. I have a rudimentary grasp of French but in Paris last year I felt like an idiot when speaking it. I also got treated quite rudely when attempting to speak whereas my wife, when she tried, had no problems..go figure..then again..two of the ladies I work with have also been to Paris in the last year and they got treated fine whereas their male companions faced the same issues I did.
Now would that be an issue in Italy? It certainly affected my stay in Paris, I would certainly make the effort to learn some basic Italian with all the usual phrases etc but are Italians more open and welcoming than Parisians [I won't say the French as a whole].
Pete

Posted by
2026 posts

I'll tell you this: Hawaii is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. We went there for 16 days, and 2 years later returned for 2 weeks and then again a year later for another 2 weeks. People are friendly, aloha spirit all over the place (i.e. laid back but not to the level of "no problem, man"), easy to travel, and tons to do besides sit on beaches all day. Air travel between islands is easy and makes hopping from one to another a snap. On our first trip we spent 4 days each on Oahu,Kauai, Big Island, and Maui. In later trips we did 1 week each in Oahu and Kauai, and then 1 week each on Big Island and Maui. All 3 trips were sensational. Over there they say "Maui no ka oi" (sp?) which means "Maui is the best", and in some regards it may be true, as it offers a diversity of towns, nightlife, beaches and scenery that may be hard to beat. But every island is different and terrific. And there are resorts and hotels (think Hyatt etc.) that will absolutely knock your socks off. Now, for the record we spent one month in Italy just last September and loved every minute. We spoke no more Italian than could be had from a menu and never once met anyone who wasn't friendly, patient and helpful to us. Language was never a problem, and we were 2 guys so can't comment on the gender theory. You will have to choose between tradewinds and tiramisu. Oy, such a dilemma!

Posted by
101 posts

Denny, thanks for the reply and I hope you had a good trip to the UK this year. [did you go to the Royal Chelsea Flower show?]

You were doing well with pushing the Hawaii thing till you then mentioned Italy!!
I can see where my question is leading but will be watching this post to see what the general consensus is. In the end the decision will be ours to make, but I think what I am looking for are realistic answers about the everyday stuff in Italy i.e. taking a train, ordering food..for that I guess I have to buy the RS Italy guide
Cheers
Pete

Posted by
64 posts

Pete,

My last two vacations were Hawaii-Big Island (Sep 2008) and Italy (May 2009). I've been to both places multiple times. Both are equally great. Some considerations:

1 - Get a copy of both Hawaii-Big Island Revealed and Rick Steves Italy 2009. Read through both and see if one place gets you more excited than the other.

2 - Italy vs. Paris - Without a doubt, Italians are much more accomadating to tourists than Parisians.

3 - If you're concerned about logistics of going to Italy, language barrier, etc., consider doing a Rick Steves Tour. My next trip to Europe will be to Spain/Portugal. This will be the first time to either country. I will be doing a Rick Steves tour. I'm an experience traveler, but this time I'd rather just do away with all the "work" that goes in to making a successful trip to Europe (I suspect I'll probably end up paying the same with a RS Tour vs. a "Do-it-yourself" vacation.)

4 - "Confined to an Island" If you go to the Big Island, don't worry about feeling "confined". You will be amazed at the size of the island and the diversity of the landscape.

Posted by
7737 posts

Well, you can't really go wrong either way, I suppose. We went to Hawaii (Big Island) for our honeymoon ten years ago and again a year later and really enjoyed it, but it doesn't "haunt our dreams" the way our two trips to Italy have (and I mean "haunt" in a good way). Throw Venice into the mix if you want a romantic place to be able to take it easy and people-watch in a setting that Hawaii could never hope to compete with.

BTW, Italy also has volcanoes. :-)

Posted by
110 posts

Not to make this more difficult, but have you thought about the Azores or Buenos Aires? They both got a mix of culture, beaches, nature, beauty etc.

Posted by
101 posts

Ooops, forgot about Vesuvius and Etna. Anyway, we arent really lay in the sun beach people, more, stroll along the beach and explore people! I didnt mean to insult Hawaii by saying 'confined" guess I should have phrased it differently. We would plan to go anywhere for a least two weeks [especially when travelling these kind of distances] and if Hawaii we would have a similar idea to Italy in that we would bounce to a couple of islands to get the real flavour of the place.
Still, these are all great comments and ideas
Pete

Posted by
207 posts

You win either way. Maui and Italy are two of my favorite places in the world (so far). The people are great in both places. Seafood is wonderful in Maui, great whale watching, there are some neat smaller museums in Lahaina on Maui. The Hanna drive is great. I think everyone should see Rome (we spent our 20th anniversary there) and Florence was magical. The food was great. Happy Anniversary.

Posted by
7737 posts

My preference for Italy over Hawaii is due to the history and culture of Italy. It's been such a strong force in the development of the places you'll be visiting. Tourism is a relatively recent phenomenon in Italy's 3000 plus years of history, starting long after the cities and villages were well established.

Unfortunately, in Hawaii, the history and culture have been overwhelmed by the creation of facilities to deal specifically with the tourist industry and to take advantage of the natural beauty of the location.

Posted by
31 posts

Pete, both are excellent vacations. Though I am single and have not vacationed in either place with girlfriend/wife, I have been to both. You should not look at this as "either/or", but "both." You just can't do both at the same time. But you should definitely vacation in both spots at some point.

Judging by your comment that you would rather walk along the beach and explore rather than lay on it, I think you might should choose Italy. You can walk around and explore in Florence and Rome, with a couple driving days in the countryside of Tuscany. Just go at a slow pace and stop often for coffee, gelato, and wine. Enjoy the scenery and don't hurry. Venice would also be incredibly romantic, and in 14-18 days, you could easily fit it in without feeling rushed:

Day 1 - Arrive in Venice (non-stop flights from US)

Day 5 - Train to Florence

Days 9-11 - Drive around Tuscany

Day 12 - Train to Rome
Day 17/18 - Fly home

Cut a day off each location and you are at 2 weeks. But, 2 weeks in just Florence/Tuscany and Rome would be more leisurely.

Just make sure you go to Italy or Hawaii on the future trip!

Posted by
6 posts

I was just in Italy for my 20th anniversary and it is such a magical and romantic place. There is no bad food and the people are very friendly even if you don't speak the language. Italy gets my vote!

Posted by
168 posts

Hi Pete,

Tough Decision! I've been to both Places. I went to Kauai in 2008 and absolutely loved it (favorite place in the US)! We did some hiking on the Napali coast, whale & dolphin watching, and of course just relaxed on the beach. The only con about Hawaii to me is the long flight and it is expensive (at least coming from MN the flight to Hawaii was longer..not sure from Ontario).

However I just love Europe and think you can make it just as romantic there. I just got back from Italy in May and it was an absolute dream. Here are my favorite places in Italy and the reasons why:
1. Venice: So beautiful there and has so much character. Very romantic (especially at night). In San Marco square there is live music (orchestra's) playing and the lights twinkling. People dance in the center of the square..it is all very magical.

1. Cinque Terre (Italian Riviera): This was IMO the most beautiful place in Italy. There are 5 small towns to choose from. Right on the ocean. We would watch the sunset every night on the rocks.

2. Amalfi Coast. We stayed in Sorrento, but one of the smaller towns on the coast may be more relaxing and less crowded. Plus you could see Pompeii or do a trip to Capri which was beautiful.

3. Tuscany: If you stay in Tuscany, Florence is loud and more hustle and bustle. Next time I go I would prefer to stay in a smaller town with a day trip to Florence. The absolute best experience we had though was taking the bus to a vineyard called Castello di Verrazzano: http://www.verrazzano.com/ We took a 30min bus ride outside Florence to the Chianti Region. Once you reach the stop you walk up through the vineyards to the winery. We did the lunch tour which was fabulous. 1 hour tour. Then the tasting on a terrace overlooking tuscany. It was probably our favorite memory. It's everything you ever dreamed of and more.

Well if you have any more questions please feel free to ask (on either Hawaii or Italy). Good Luck!

Posted by
35 posts

My wife and I honeymooned in Kona, Hawaii. Beautiful, but I would never go back. (Just went to say I've been). We just got back from Positano, IT. It was the best place ever. Breathtakingly beautiful, relaxed, and all the people were very friendly.

We stayed at the Hotel Villa Delle Palme.

Posted by
2788 posts

I live most of the year in Hawaii and I go to Europe every summer. I would not skip either of them. However, if I had to choose one over the other for an anniversary, I would choose Hawaii for its romantic connotations (if that is what you are looking for). I second the recommendation that you get a guide book on both places to help you decide. Either place = you win! Happy travels.

Posted by
4555 posts

Pete...I'd be torn with a decision like that, too. I like both places, but to me, Italy wins for the romance factor. I wonder if your wife being half-Italian might tip the scales....discovering her roots and all that? I mean, let's face it....this trip's really all about her, right? ;)

Posted by
125 posts

Pete, having friends rave about a Best of Italy cruise is way different than an on your own travel through Italy visiting Venice, Florence, Rome, Amalfi coast, CT. Both are great, but the cruise is way more laid back than doing Italy the way most of the posters here visit Italy. I doubt if the cruisers got to spend more than 7 hours in a port. What island are you thinking of in Hawaii? Each one has their own special charm, but for sure, Hawaii will be more laid back than a trip to Italy during the summer. Both places are great to visit, but I feel Hawaii will be the more relaxing destination, as I find Italy way more intense than Maui, Kauai, The Big Island, or even Ohau. That being said, I did my first trip to Rome in 2008, and went back to Sorrento this past April. CT and Tusccany is up next April. I'm not planning to go back to HI for awhile. I'm hooked on Italy!

Posted by
37 posts

Wow. What choices. It depends on what you like to do when you are on vacation. Do you want to relax on the beach in the sun with beautiful scenery and great water sports, while drinking Mai Tais with Hawaiian music in the background? Or do you like to see history and art treasures and eat great food and drink fine wine?

Hawaii is great for outdoor activities and relaxation. Stay away from Honolulu unless you like being in a big humid city. I like the Big Island. Lots of variety of terrian (live volcanoes, ranch land, beautiful beaches, coffee plantations, excellent resorts). I have never been impressed with the food in Hawaii.

Italy is a historians and architects delight. Everywhere is ancient history and interesting structures. You have picked some great places, but you might want to check out Cinque Terre for being on the beach but not a tourist mess like much of Riviera. Wonderful towns. Why Rome for a week? That won't be very relaxing. I would spend less time there and more time in Tuscany and/or Cinque Terre for relaxation. Great food and wine and the people are wonderful. Good luck and have fun.

Posted by
512 posts

Italy or Hawaii.....

Italy hands down. While Hawaii is lovely, relaxing and welcoming, Italy is Italy. Your wife has Italian heritage which makes it even more meaningful. The food, the wine, the diversity of scenery, regional cuisine, the history, the art and architecture.

Hawaii is a holiday but Italy is an experience that everyone should have at least once (or more).

Posted by
1446 posts

I love both places but regarding Hawaii, my vote would be for the island of Kauai rather than the big island. I've been to both islands but Kauai is the one I keep going back to. I particularly love the Princeville area on the northern part of the island of Kauai because it's more lush, quiet & romantic in my opinion. Kauai is obviously very different from Italy but no matter which option you select, you will be happy because both places are beautiful in different ways. Maybe do Hawaii for your anniversary and then save up to visit Italy in a few years. Honestly, you can't go wrong either way!! Congratulations on your 20th anniversary.

Posted by
248 posts

Talk about win-win!!! I've been to both Hawaii and Italy and wouldn't trade either experiences. Just wanted to say that my husband and I (neither of whom speak any Italian) had no trouble in Italy this past year. We found the Italians to be very welcoming and helpful. One great memory was an entire restaurant working to help us place our order. We wound up with something totally different than we originally wanted and it was terrific! Plus we had new friends! There's no downside to Hawaii, but I personally felt a sense of adventure in a foreign land. We travelled by train, ferry, bus, tram and taxi on our own; we wandered everywhere we went (stumbling upon the Pantheon in Rome was a life-time high); we had fixed schedules and unplanned days; we ate from street vendors and nice restaurants; we loved the people watching and the Italians. I vote that you embrace the adventure of travelling to Italy and enjoying whatever aspect of it strikes your fancy.

Posted by
2 posts

We have been to all the Hawaiian islands ten times and they are all different. Thus it depends upon what you want to do. We have also spent a month tourning Italy, ten days with Rick Steves. The two don't compare. Hawaii has the best beaches in the world. Italy has great art, museums and churches. Driving the backroads northern Italy can't be compared to the rural roads of any of the Hawaiian islands. They are completely different. If you go all the way to Italy you should definetly visit Venice. Nothing in the world like it. Stay away from Honolulu, it is just a big city with lots of traffic and very expensive. Maui has much better beaches. Many are uncrowded. The leeward side of the islands are much better for swimming. On the windward side the ocean is very rough. Italy can't compare to Hawaii for beaches. Italy has great food and wine. Hawaii has great beauty. The food choices in Hawaii are different. Mama's Seafood restaurant in Maui is outstanding. You should definetly visit two islands with one of them being Maui. Oahu doesn't have as much as the Big Island or Kauai. Assisi and Sienna are also well worth seeing. The volcano in Hawaii is not what you might expect. The lava does not shoot up into the air, it flows out of the side of the volcano. The Big Island also has a snow capped peak in which the sunset is beautiful at 14,000 feet. Sunrise on another extinct volcano in Maui is worth seeing, but you need to be there before 5am to get a parking space.
Hope this helps

Posted by
23 posts

Having been to Hawaii many times ( yes, I love it) and having just come back from Italy, to me there's no question, Italy wins. It was also out of our comfort zone, the language, the trains, the on line booking, etc. but we fell in love in our (mere) six days and are already planning a trip back for at least two weeks. There's a magic to Italy that you cannot understand until you are there. Ciao, Jana

Posted by
518 posts

Hawaii is probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen. All the islands are spectacular. Flying over an active volcano on the Big Island in a helicopter was an amazing and thrilling experience. The beaches are unbelievably beautiful. There is a lot of culture and history to explore too. The road to Hana on Maui -- what a drive! And Hawaii is not all lush beautiful scenery. It is very diverse. For example on the Big Island, the Kona side receives about 5 inches of rain per year. Fifty miles away (across a 13,000 feet high volvano) Hilo receives 300 or so inches per year. The results are dramatic. We loved Hawaii.

We love Italy too. In fact, we're going there in 2 weeks. It has the beauty plus the history. We've been to Italy several times and absolutely love it.

I didn't quite understand from your post whether or not the two of you have been to Hawaii. I take it you have not. If you have not been there, choose Hawaii. We had been to Europe several times before we went to Hawaii. Hawaii was a thousand times more than I anticipated, and it is really romantic. You will be happy with either choice. Happy 20th anniversary a year early!

By the way, the Hawaii Revealed books are the best. There is one for each island.

Posted by
11507 posts

Been to both,, and I love Hawaii( been there 7 timmes ).. but for a "special "trip,, no contest .. Italy.

Posted by
50 posts

I've been to both places and they both are romantic and lovely for a second honeymoon but I would pick Italy to return to especially St Mark's Square in Venice which to me was soooooooo romantic with the three orchestras, the cafes, the restaurants, the people and, if you are courageous, the dancing. I'm divorced, and a senior citizen and to me that would be such a romantic evening if you are on a second honeymoon.

Posted by
64 posts

Pete, Here are my Pros and Cons.

ACCOMADATIONS: Last time in Hawaii, I did an oceanfront house rental in the Hilo area for $150/night (or EUR 115). It was a fully stocked updated house with a BBQ, laundry, etc; truly a home away from home. Decent, affordable lodging in Italy can potentially be a crapshoot, especially for first timers.

MODE OF TRANSPORT/COST: One of the reasons I like Europe is I get to take a vacation from my car. The Eurostar trains are fantastic. In Hawaii, you will rent a car and do a lot of driving. On the other hand, in terms of cost, I always spend a lot more money in Italy than I budgeted. Boy does the cost of train/taxi/buses seem to add up fast.

FOOD QUALITY/COST: The food is better in Italy; Big Duhh. Yes, I’ve eaten a lot of good meals in Italy; I’ve also paid very good money for those meals. I’ve also paid a lot of good money for very average/mediocre food in Italy (too many average 2 person EUR50 meals). I always go way over budget for food costs in Italy. In Hawaii, I shop at Costco and eat the rental home(50%), the other 50% I eat at the budget eateries in the Hawaii Revealed Guides–stay away from hotel and resort food.

SIGHTS AND ATTRACTIONS: Okay, who’s better? – Mozart of Michelangelo? How do you compare – Volcano helicopter ride, World class Snorkeling, Waipio Valley, Black Sand beaches, Zodiak boat on Na’pali coast vs. Venice/Florence/Rome. Hawaii/Italy are both top 5 places to visit before you die.

RELAXING: Hawaii is more relaxing, Big Duhhhh. After 2 weeks in Europe, I’m ready to go home. After 2 weeks in Hawaii, I'm sooo not ready to go home.

PLANNING AND EXECUTING A GOOD TRIP: A good Hawaii trip is easier to pull off. Pulling off a good Europe trip is more difficult, but that’s part of the fun and thrill. There is a learning curve to traveling in Europe. You say your stay in Paris was affected by language, but your ready to go back to Europe - that's a great attitude!

Posted by
4 posts

Funny, I have been in the exact situation this year - debating where to celebrate the big 40. I spend a few weeks each year on the Big Island and you can't beat it for relaxation. I chose Italy however and am excited to go back to the Amalfi Coast for a week. As much as I love Hawaii, Italy wins. People fantastic, scenery breathtaking, food spectacular... I could go on and on.

My deciding factor was that I also am not a big fan of hanging out at the beach all the time. I prefer to find an outdoor caffe with a view and spend time reading, writing and people watching. I make new friends on every trip.

Either way, you can't lose - but Italy wins my vote!

Posted by
1589 posts

Married 20 years and STILL haven't learned the most important lesson? Go where your bride wants to go! Have a great trip! I vote for Italy.

Posted by
850 posts

Nice choices. I met my wife in Hawaii in 1968 for a 7 day R&R while serving in Vietnam. Having only been married for a little over a year and not having seen my wife for almost 8 months I cannot give Hawaii a proper evaluation other than to say it is a beautiful place. We have kicked around the idea of going back but Europe keeps calling so my choice would be Italy which is also beautiful. Since your wife is half Italian she would have a big interest for visiting there so you could put that on the plus side of the ledger as you evaluate the pros of going there. I don't see any cons about going to either place so whatever you decide will be a good choice.

Posted by
927 posts

Maui.

If you want romantic; then go to Maui: You'll talk about it for the rest of your lives.

If you want interesting; then go to Italy: You'll talk about it for the rest of your lives.

So fortunate that you have this choice....

Either one, if there is purpose in mind then, Maui is easier.

You can be stunned by the overwhelming culture of Italy, or welcome a Sunrise on the top of a volcano on Maui - an experience that Mark Twain said should not be missed in one's life time.

It is really a very beautiful thing to see. Seeing Italy has been interesting, and we are going back for the third time, but watching a sunrise on Haleakala was transforming.

If you pick the day, for that sunrise, and the twenty years hence, it will be a beautiful morning to be there.

Posted by
64 posts

Pete,
We (husband & I) have been to both Hawaii and Italy. We chose Italy last year for our 25th. It was the most wonderful and memorable vacation. Having done both before, I would urge you to think seriously about Italy for this special occasion. Language will not be a barrier, so throw that consideration out. I have read through the other posts and there are a lot of good points made. David is not to be missed in Florence. The hill towns of Tuscany are breath taking. The Colosseum in ROME. OMG. The Vatican and Sistine Chapel, etc. There are so many possibilities that it boggles the mind. My adive, save Hawaii for a future trip. Go to Italy for an unforgettable 20th wedding anniversary.

Debby

Posted by
515 posts

Italy.
A few years ago, we spent our wedding anniversary throwing coins in the Trevi, attending Mass at St. Peter's, admiring Michelangelo's Pieta, and roaming the streets of Rome. Our days in Rome were magical. So, too, Florence and Venice. Magical. Strolling down a lane in Tuscany between vineyards and olive groves at sunset. M.A.G.I.C.A.L.

Posted by
43 posts

Pete - You say Hawaii "is in your comfort zone" so I would suggest Italy for two reasons:

1. It's staggeringly beautiful and romantic (don't miss Venice!)

2. It's been 20 years...getting out of your comfort zone away from the familiar, will probably, in of itself, spark romance and excitement

The challenges in planning and traveling will definitely be rewarded. Your wife will not be disappointed when she finally gets to see Michelangelo's David and I think you'll find wine sipping/people watching at the outdoor cafes extremely gratifying

Posted by
927 posts

"RELAXING: Hawaii is more relaxing, Big Duhhhh. After 2 weeks in Europe, I’m ready to go home. After 2 weeks in Hawaii, I'm sooo not ready to go home."

This says it all.

Few people ever want to leave Hawaii once they have been there for a while, at least until Island Fever sets in.

In my flight back this was all in my mind about how could I live there: Yet it is a very small island.

It makes you feel young again to be on Maui. It gave ten years back to my life. Seeing this place was like some fountain of youth. And swimming with Green Turtles on a coral reef will do that to you.

It is interesting in a totally different way that Italy is.
Italy ends up being exhausting.
And You'll want to come home. And you can't end up living in Italy unless you are a millionaire.

Very few people ever want to leave Hawaii, if they have been there for a month or so. It changes you.

Posted by
553 posts

Been to both, Italy 9/2007 and Hawaii 6/2008. Italy is your choice hands down! More history, sights, wine, food, etc. We were in Rome, Tuscany and the Cinque Terre for 10 days and we're already planning the return trip in 2010 after the third day. Don't worry about the language barrier. Unless you get out in the boonies, English is the language of choice. Kinda the official language of the EU.

Spent eight days on Oahu. Based in Honolulu and explored the island and played golf while my wife worked. Saw everything I wanted to see in the first three days, but did not see the other islands because of her work schedule. Would probably have been a better trip if we could. BUT...we did get to attend the Annual SpamJam. NO KIDDING. Google it. Hawaii is the largest consumer of Spam in the world. Somehow it just wasn't the same as the food in Florence.

Both are great places to visit, but I can't imagine how you could go wrong celebrating an anniversary in Italy. Don't know how much time you will have, but I would recommend three days in Rome and four in Florence, the latter of which will allow for side trips to the hilltowns that are within 30-60 minutes of the city. Try to get to Vernazza in the Cinque Terre if you can....it's the ultimate in relaxation. If you have enough time to include to Venice, try flying into Rome and out of Milan for efficiency. Good Luck.

Posted by
155 posts

If your wife is of Italian heritage, there is nothing like going to the city her family came from, looking for relatives.

I did that two years ago, and returned just this May. It is an experience not to be forgotten,.

The Italians were so pleased that I came to Italy 120 years after my grandparents left. The friendliness was unbelievable. I was my grandmother's house (I had photos), saw the inside, ate the "old type" of food they ate, heard stories of what it was like then.

I know a bit of Italian and that was a major boost, but hand language went a long way, also.

I took my grdaughter, who knows no Italian and I saw her "talking" with people.

Posted by
8 posts

What a great question--apples or oranges? During our working years we tried to sneak off to Hawaii every winter for "BOTB" (butts on the beach). We were fairly active, but the aloha lifestyle always sent us home relaxed and rejuvenated, even when we were doing multiple islands.

We sold our business a few years ago and now use our getaways for high intensity travel and especially love Italy. The Tuscan hill towns are great fun to just poke around and the attractions in the larger cities are non-stop.

To us, that's the difference. High energy, dazzling culture, and way out of the comfort zone vs. relaxation and swaying palms. They're both great, but you have to decide which of those is the better picture.

Posted by
842 posts

Pete, I get the idea that you don't like getting outside your "comfort zone"; lauguage, only staying in two places, etc.

If this is what BOTH of you want, then you know the answer. But if you want to really explore, and try the challenges of a new culture, try Italy.

Many of us here don't subcribe to tours, but like planning our own trips, and that it not without risks, and some beautiful rewards.

We just got back from France, and speak no French, but I had no trouble" talking" to the French. Neither did my wife. They were warm, helpful, and engaging. I have had the same experience with the Italians, and in Hawaii.

You really need to add both to your "bucket list".

Posted by
239 posts

Hi Pete--I'm with Bob; the answer for an anniversary trip is wherever you wife wants to go! :)

I've been to both, and while Hawaii was wonderful, Italy was so romantic! Plus you say that David is her favorite piece of sculpture, so imagine how thrilled she'd be to see it in person! As a previous poster said, Hawaii is a fabulous trip, but Italy is an experience.

Posted by
172 posts

Italy would win for me - hands down! I've spent time on all the Hawaiian Islands - Kauai is my favorite, and they are very beautiful, BUT Italy just keeps calling me back over and over again, the very friendly people, the food, the wine, the culture, the history, the beauty! Just learn a few polite phrases in Italian, you won't have a problem with not speaking the language where you are planning to go. If your wife were to try and find some long lost relatives they would treat you like a king and queen!

Posted by
27 posts

I would agree with Claire. Hawaii is a vacation, Italy changes your life. ( I took up tile work after our first trip there 10 years ago)

Posted by
77 posts

If you want the beach, the most amazing water you have ever seen and something different, more exotic go to Tahiti! its exotic, soooo ramantic, the food is amazing and love is litterally in the air!!

If you want food, culture, amazing art, long romantic walks through ancient towns, then do Italy!!! Skip the crouse , they make you rush and you miss out on the local food. Have fun!

Posted by
319 posts

Pete,

you can't go wrong with either destination, but don't be put off of Italy for fear of language/cultural issues. Italians are as a rule much welcoming than Parisians. One good thing about Italians is that they talk with their hands, so if you can't understand each other verbally you can usually point and make signs and gestures and be understood!

Posted by
100 posts

Last year we celebrated our 25th anniversary and were trying to decide between St. John, Virgin Islands, or Italy. Italy won and were we ever glad....and enriched. We've been to Hawaii as well, which is why we were thinking about basking on the beautiful sands of the Caribbean. However, we wouldn't really have DONE anything, like an adventure, if you know what I mean. Instead, we had a great anticipitory time of searching out accomodations, making museum reservations and reading through pages and page of RS's Helpline! We fell so in love with the cuisine and have been eating so differently now, our kids want to send us to only go places that have great food to emulate. Every night for the most part, we savor the "dinner" experience, laughing talking and enjoying fresh, healthy and (mostly() Italian food - ha! We really feel so culturally educated just a little more for learning to appreciate so much of the history, art, and architecture. Plus the warmth of the people! I've never felt so welcome as a tourist, especially when you take the time to try and speak some of their language and are sensitive to their customs. I'd go back in a second if I could afford it right now. My husband too, "felt" the richness of the our adventure- 2 1/2 weeks all planned ourselves. It was adventure, romance and....romance! We stayed 4 nights in Vernazza in the CT and so ended up getting our "ocean" anyways.

We did have a wonderful time and made our own adventures when we went to Maui, Hawaii - I'd love to take our kids. But, there is something quite unique about going to a "foreign" country, working to understand one another, out of the old comfort zone, and simply the adventure of the unknown...Congratulations by the way!