Please sign in to post.

H-E-L-P: 106 heat index for my first visit to Rome!!!

I like to be comfortable so I thought that meant thick socks, hiking shoes, thin/ moisture-wicking/ SPF protective full coverage clothing, a wide brim hat, expert shades and a theft proof day pack complete with water pouch. Now I'm thinking sandals, shorts and sleeveless to keep from passing out. I have 10 days in Rome that includes a day trip to Pompeii. I've booked six 3-4 hour private tours with a guide and now find that I have no clue what to wear! Can you help me pack smart and light? Thanks!

Posted by
15800 posts

First order of business: do not panic.

OK, now that we've gotten that out of the way...male or female?

Posted by
15800 posts

And where are you from?
(Travelers from, say, Seattle may handle heat/humidity differently than from Phoenix)

Posted by
15146 posts

What would you pack for a trip to Disneyworld in Orlando in summer? I presume not the same gear to visit Alaska. The weather in Rome in summer is more similar to Orlando than Anchorage.
Just be aware that some churches (like St. Peter at the Vatican) require you to have your shoulders and your legs covered to your knees, therefore pack something that will have those body parts covered while visiting those religious sights. Other than that, summer clothes for a Florida trip is all you should pack.

Posted by
17 posts

Wow, you guys are hard core! Currently I live in Connecticut but I was born in humid Maryland. I find that I cannot take the heat so well with age and at 5'7" 160 lbs, 25 more that I should have. Drinking buckets of water is no problem for me but running to the bathroom while on a tour might be. If I can dress to limit hydration, maybe I won't be looking more for a bathroom than the sites?

Posted by
7025 posts

I don't think you need hiking shoes and heavy socks in Rome in the summer, but do make sure your shoes/sandals are sturdy comfortable waking shoes because of the uneven surfaces you'll encounter, especially in Pompeii. Skirts can be cooler than shorts in that kind of heat. Light colors and the brimmed hat are good. And, yes, plenty of water. I'm like you in that I have to seek a bathroom more often when I drink a lot but in that kind of heat I found that my body absorbed that water and I didn't have to go as often as I thought I would.

Posted by
16893 posts

A sun hat is a good idea (something I don't usually pack but kind of wish I did) plus sunscreen and insect repellant. I wear my Teva sport sandals all over Europe.

Posted by
2393 posts

I am super heat sensitive - I mean sitting out at 3 degrees during a hot flash hot.

Dresses are cooler than shorts, pants or capris. Light weight natural fabrics that breathe

Water, water, water, water

I carry a small spray bottle (from a travel bottle set) and will mist myself with water frequently - arms, chest, face.

popsicles - not ice cream or gelato - will cool you down quickly if over-heated

Posted by
15800 posts

Sleeveless, lightweight tops and modest-length shorts are fine for Pompeii and just about anything else outside. If your sandals provide support and don't have heels, they may be fine too

Your moisture-wicking, cover-up clothing may be more comfortable than you think; hikers wear similar in hot weather.

Do you wear (knee-length) skirts? I don't but many women prefer them when it's hot. A large-ish lightweight scarf can be wrapped around the shoulders for popping into churches...which are very nice when it's hot as they tend to be dim and cool.

Hat: yes. Sunscreen: yes.

A small plastic spray bottle filled with water is very nice for a refreshing spritz of the face and arms: tuck one in? Some folks like little personal-sized, battery-operated fans, too.

It's too early to tell but not every day may be 106 index, hopefully some of your tours are in the morning, and not all of them are outside in the sun?

Posted by
1625 posts

Just wear what you wear at home in the summer when you go out. I love Jersey Tank dresses for sightseeing, and keep a scarf in your purse for when you need to cover your shoulders. Comfortable sandals that are made for walking or sketchers. I also like capris with tanks and a loose fitting jersey cardigan if needed for modesty. Drink all the water you can, there are plenty of potties along most of the tours we went on and for some reason (like a pp stated) my body absorbs more water, or it is just using it, when I am walking 10 miles a day. I brought our own Contigo water bottles and they are always fabulous, we take them all over. Look at Travel blogs with photos of people in Italy in the summer and see what they are wearing to get ideas.

Posted by
487 posts

As a female with similar height/weight characteristics I wanted to chime in on wearing skirts. While they can be cooler you must be careful about your thighs chafing when walking around in hot weather. Drugstores sell anti-chafing sticks such as Band Aid brand Friction block or you can use a swipe of your deodorant to keep things more comfortable.

I also love linen items when it gets really hot. Linen pants are cool and breezy and if they get a little rumpled, people expect that of linen!

Posted by
1078 posts

Just got back from Italy last month and found a couple of things that helped with the heat(even in early June):

1) Brought my first wide brim hat and it was a lifesaver on the days we were at the Forum and surrounding sights, also helped in rain by keeping my face dry.

2) Get a collapsable water bottle, I have a platypus, so you can leave in your pocket or backpack and then fill it at fountain or whereever there is water.

3) I used a Scottevest travel vest with 21 pockets so I didn't have to take a backpack or bag with us, the vests come in summer weight and are not hot to wear.

4) Avoid wine/beer before going on a several hour tour, alcohol will dehydrate you, wait till later and then drink wine with dinner,etc.

Your going to have a great time, Hint: go to St. Peters at 6:45-7:00 am and they will let you in and there will be less than 10-12 people in the church, it is amazing, quiet, spiritual and they allow pictures to be taken. Far different experience than when the tourist crowds show up and it was noisy and crowded!

See many sights early or late in the day to avoid the worst of the heat.

Posted by
518 posts

Well, the good news as that with hot weather like this, you don't need to bring "heavy" clothing such as sweaters and coats and so your bag will be lighter, or possibly, that you can bring more items of clothing for the same amount of weight (i.e., many t-shirts).

Definitely wear a hat, but I've found that my head gets really hot and sweaty with the hat I currently have, which is completely closed up top. So consider a visor or a hat that is mesh on top or has some kind of ventilation.

Drinks tons of water, but not in giant gulps (I found I go to the bathroom much more frequently when I down my water that way). Instead, very consistent small sips. YOu mentioned you are doing your sight seeing via private tour, so maybe this might accommodate frequent bathroom trips more than if you were in a large group of 30+ people, where you don't want to lag behind and must keep up with the group.

Carry a small wash cloth and a thermos with ice water, if your hotel has an ice maker or if your room or apartment has a fridge with freezer you can make your own ice. When it gets really hot, just soak the small wash cloth in this ice water and put it on your head or drape it on the back of your neck. I must stress "ice" water, because regular water won't cool you offf nearly as much if at all. You'll just continue to feel hot and sticky. Another trick with regards to ice water, is put bottled water in a freezer, but only just enough so that only half of the bottle freezes. As you go about your day, the frozen part will continue to thaw, but in so doing the water will still remain ice cold.

Going sockless also keeps you cool, but being that it is Rome, I highly advise against anything open toe and definitely no flip-flops or anything without a secure ankle/heel. If you do go sockless, make sure that the shoes are well made with good, breathable inner lining.

Posted by
347 posts

Water,water and more water. When I get older I think I will need a catheter for some of these trips. Ha

Posted by
3940 posts

On the bathroom thing - I'm a bit like my mom who always says - never pass up a free washroom whether you have to go or not. I will say, you may just sweat out a lot of that liquid you take in. Our first trip to Rome in '08 was mid-Sept but still fairly warm. I drank water and juice like a fish and swear I went from about 10am to 4pm without needing a washroom (as opposed to at home where I seem to got every 90 min or so...sigh). Take advantage of the water fountains to fill up your bottle(s). And def sturdy sandals - ones with a backstrap and flat soles (as opposed to a wedge or heel) would be better on the bumpy roads and keep your feet more secure so less chance of turning your ankle. (My current fav is Teva Tirra).

Hopefully your accoms are central - we returned to Italy in early Sept '14 and it was blasted hot, but luckily we had pretty central accoms, so most days we weren't too far away and would go back to the room from about 2-5pm to cool down, rehydrate and take another shower if necessary. Churches are always a great place to cool off as well.

Oh, and you may want to take some foot wipes/baby wipes- trust me when I say, if you wear sandals, your feet will be pretty dirty at the end of the day, and a nice cool wipe feels pretty darn good, plus you won't get your bed linens dirty.

Posted by
102 posts

Seconding linen. I brought a linen shirt on our trip in June and it dried super fast after being washed in the sink and it was the coolest shirt I brought with me. I prefer to keep my shoulders covered because clothes seem to beat sunblock for me and I did get a bit sunburned on one of the days I wore a sleeveless shirt even though I had applied and reapplied sunblock. A loose linen dress I bought in Venice, because I was so darn hot was the coolest thing I had with me and it also dried very quickly after being washed in the sink.

Also seconding the body glide or other similar stick to avoid chafing.

We also took breaks in the middle of the day in our air conditioned hotel room whenever possible. More than once we got take away food and ate in the room because, hello, air conditioning. We were in Florence, Venice and Rome and Rome seemed to have the biggest temperature swings, with mornings and evenings being quite comfortable while mid-day was fairly hot for us. We did the Colossium after dark tour which was great because it had cooled off (and the site was soooo not crowded). We also did breakfast at the Vatican, again allowing us to go back to the hotel afterwards to avoid the worst of the mid-day heat.

As far as tours and bathrooms, all of our guides were careful to provide bathroom breaks. Easier really than finding them on your own. So I would prioritize staying hydrated and not worry too much about bathrooms on tours.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
3940 posts

...and I live in capri pants in the summer - if you aren't a fan of skirts...I find just having my lower legs out in the air so to speak really helps...

Posted by
2393 posts

Our high temp today will be 106 F...in the sun it is just stupid hot!

Posted by
15146 posts

Another way to provide relief from the heat, is to take advantage of a bidet, a standard fixture in every Italian bathrooms, including hotels (although not generally in public restrooms).

Try it, and you will never feel the same again.

Posted by
32200 posts

Be sure to heed the warnings that Roberto posted about covering legs and shoulders inside Churches (especially the Vatican). Even if it's blistering hot inside, don't remove the covering from your shoulders, as the guards will likely pounce on you right away, and it won't be a pleasant holiday experience (I've seen it happen).

Posted by
32200 posts

Roberto,

Interesting link about using a Bidet. It's odd that they're not more popular in North America, especially since the gigantic houses that many people have here would have lots of room for one.

In addition to the uses shown in the link, I've heard of one experienced traveller who occasionally does her laundry in one. On that note, I'll leave it at that.

Posted by
11613 posts

Linen is good, cotton is better, seersucker is the best!

Do not skimp on water - I was walking past the Colsseum yesterday and an ambulance pulled up for someone overcome by heat and dehydration. One of the "gladiators" said that it happens from time to time on hot afternoons.

Posted by
4637 posts

Well, my condolences. Nobody would ever see me in Italy in summer (maybe with the exception of the Alps). Rome is hot even in May and October. Let's hope that your hotel has AC. Being from Connecticut you are used to hot and humid climate. I did not see much difference between Maryland and Connecticut in summer. I lived in Pennsylvania. Thank God I am in Seattle now. When you are in Pompeii wear as little as possible and a big umbrella to create shade. There is not much of it in Pompeii. For churches something to cover shoulders and a skirt at least up to knees. If you are significant time outdoors or even indoors without AC hydration is very important. And next time go to Italy, Spain, Greece and other southern European countries in spring or fall. Summer is to visit UK, Ireland, Iceland, Scandinavia, Baltic republics. I used to go to Central Europe in summer but now with global warming is spring or fall (or both).

Posted by
32713 posts

Do you know about Nasoni? They are the water lifesavers in Rome with clean very cold sweet tasting lovely water which can be found everywhere. FREE.

Have a look at http://www.lifeinitaly.com/tourism/lazio/nasoni-of-rome View the couple of embedded youtubes for instructions. Click on the link near the bottom of the page for a map, although in the Centro Storico you can't go any distance without stumbling over one or many without any map. Those in the know use the little hole to drink and the big hole for bottles.

There is also a clever app for nasoni, which uses no data when out and about.

Don't worry about needing the toilet. Most of the water water water water will be used by your body and it is even likely you will need the toilet less.

Sensitive folk turn away now.

The best way to know if you are getting enough water is to check the colour of the liquid in the toilet bowl after you have used it. If it is at all dark, darker than pale yellow, you are probably dehydrated.

Posted by
5835 posts

The starting point is don't sweat it. A 10 day is really a guess and it may or may not be that hot. To day's Weather Channel's 10 day forecast had July 23 as a high of 95F/35C and low of 71F/22C with a rel humidity of 45%. A 45% humidity is not high and mid-30s C is warm, not hot.

Not that said, do what the locals do and don't do much during the mid-afternoon when the sun is out and temperatures high. A lot of shops close for several hour mid-day breaks.

If you do venture into the afternoon sun, loose fit light weave SPF shirts can be "cooler" than short sleeve shirts when in the direct sun.

Posted by
7737 posts

Make sure that your lodging has air conditioning that you can use anytime during the day. Some places only allow the AC to be on for limited hours. Plan to return to your room during the hottest time of the day for a nap and to relax.

Posted by
15146 posts

Ken:

I really have a hard time understanding why there are so few bidets in North America (although there are in Puerto Rico).

I see houses with bathrooms so large that they fit 2 sinks and 2 showers, but not a bidet? I recently went to see some new apartments built here in Silicon Valley near my office. 1500 ft of living space, 3 bathrooms, 4 bdrooms, for a whopping $1.5 million and not one bidet? I told the sales manager: I would never pay 1.5 million dollars for an apartment with no bidet. I had to install my own (electric type part of the toilet) in my house because they stupidly designed the bathrooms that you can't easily fit them separately.

Bidets are useful for what shown on the link above, and also to wash or soak your feet on a hot day.

I've known Americans living in Florence who still didn't get used to them and used the bidet, don't laugh, as a magazine rack, or even as a flower vase

I am in my fifties, somewhat short and stout, and female. I have done Italy twice and I live in the middle of hot and humid Florida among the gators and orange trees. I just wrote all of that, so you understand my perspective. Here is what I recommend; very good leather sandals with a heal strap. Don't go cheap here. Capri pants made from light weight material and loose fitting. Also, longer style shorts that cover the knees. V-neck fishing type shirts. (Reel Legends brand.). These breathe, cover the shoulders, and are light weight. Columbia shirts that are vented in the back and short sleeved. These have a mesh back panel and are 100% polyester. Get the ones with the discreet side zip pockets, not the ones that have pockets all over the front. Carry a packet of moist wipes for your face and arms. You can always buy a hat in Italy if you need one. Have FUN!

Posted by
51 posts

My wife wore light dresses that terminated below the knee, kept a light shawl/scarf thing tied in a knot to her purse (for churches) and wore sneakers, took a ball cap and sunscreen and drank lots of water. No issue the whole time in June and it was roasting.

Posted by
5697 posts

Adding to KC's tip about a washcloth with ice water to put on your neck, if you are near a sporting goods store you can buy (about $10-$15) a cooling scarf which contains a substance which can absorb water and keep the scarf wet -- and cooling -- for longer periods. When dry, the scarf can be packed in your carry-on. I don't leave home without mine on hot days; will definitely be wearing it on the way to the meeting in Sacramento this Saturday!

Posted by
3696 posts

A cool, thin and loose fitting spaghetti strap dress with a scarf for shoulders will keep you the coolest...and as minimal underwear as you feel comfortable in☺️

Posted by
13906 posts

The only thing I will add is to buy a hand held fan (think old ladies in church or characters in Regency Romances, lol) immediately. If you can find one at home get it. If not you will see vendors all over Rome with them. Some of them are pretty garish, IMO, but just default to the least objectionable one and keep it with you. I wound up with a plastic one from Giverny, France that feels sort of like it is made of out of the material flexible cutting boards are made of...just a little stiffer. It is always in my travel gear!

Ditto info about thigh chafing. A good running store will have what you need if you can't find it in a drugstore.

The last time I was in Rome was early in a Sept and it was very hot to me (North Idaho gal here). I was wearing ultra light Smartwool runners socks, PhD is what I think they were called. They were fabulous. I could wear them all day, take them off to let them air and they did not smell in the AM. Amazing and they did not make my feet hotter. I have to wear athletic shoes instead of sandals so needed socks too. If you are going to get new sandals at this point, you need to take another pair of shoes you know you can walk for miles in in case the sandals don't work out.

Posted by
3207 posts

As Zoe said Linen is good, cotton is better, seersucker is the best! I find covering skin in loose fitting natural, breathing fabrics works best. And, as Ilya recommended, use an umbrella. I live in a community with a high percentage of Asian people. This is one of several things I've learned from this community. You'd be amazed how much more comfortable you'll be under your umbrella. I also wear a wide brimmed hat and dark sunglasses...but now I digress.

Posted by
32200 posts

Roberto,

"I've known Americans living in Florence who still didn't get used to them and used the bidet, don't laugh, as a magazine rack, or even as a flower vase"

Really???? A magazine rack or a flower vase. Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh!

Posted by
616 posts

Italian weather forecast announces temperatures bete en 72 F (early morning and night) and 95 F (afternoon and evening).
Hope this will help.

Posted by
5835 posts

If the long term forecast are close to accurate, be grateful that the 35 C mid-afternoon high temp is predicted to be accompanied by a gentle breeze. Good weather for an afternoon Aperol Spritz.
http://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/recipes/drinks-cocktails/aperol-spritz

https://www.yr.no/place/Italy/Lazio/Rome/long.html

Long term forecast for Rome, Lazio (Italy)
Saturday 23/07/2016 14:00–20:00 Cloudy Temp 35°C
Precipitation 0 mm
Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from south

And you can start a conversation with your new friends:

"Oggi fa molto caldo"
or
"Oggi fa caldissimo"

Posted by
11304 posts

The bidet discussion is a hoot. My cats like to drink from the running faucet or nap in it on a hot day.

Thee: The tour guides are great about bathroom breaks. I have been on many colder weather tours when they stop for five minutes when someone says they need the loo. Drink water, stand in the shade, wear sunscreen, wear sundresses, do not be body conscious. No Italians are. You will see many women who should be wearing support garments who do not when it is hot. Avert your eyes!

Posted by
17 posts

THANK YOU to all of you *awesome* world travelers!!!!!! This is essential and greatly appreciated advice. I am now off shopping to better prepare for this journey. Your comments have truly changed my worry into CONFIDENCE. Especially thanks for saving me from thick socks and hiking shoes, lol! Really fantastic support. Thanks again and happy trails everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
332 posts

I honestly don't get this question. I mean you booked a trip in the middle of summer. Did you think it would snow in Italy then? We are booked end of August and I am expecting heat . I suggest light clothing and lots of water, suntan lotion as well. Maybe a hat ?

Posted by
1003 posts

For summer trips to Italy I pack my teva sandels, Lt wt tops and skirts that hit just above the knee. I also throw in a pair of capris. I try and keep it simple for packing and plan my travel wardrobe around black & khaki. I may throw in some white if it is summer travel.

Posted by
332 posts

Janet I always wear Birkenstock and I am wondering if the Teva would be less heavy? I am looking now at the web site and I somewhat like them so I could bring a pair.

Sandals - bring the pair that is most comfortable and supportive of your feet. You will be doing a lot of walking and some inclines and stairs. Have a heal/backstrap for support. If you do well with Birkenstock - stay with that.

Posted by
17 posts

Suzanne,
to answer your questions....I got a reward ticket to Rome but the only time available was the end of July. Rome has been on my bucket list for a long time and I am a teacher so summer is really my only option for a long and meaningful trip. This is also my first solo international trip and I'm going to be running on thin resources (hence the panic). I have to plan and be smart. Not all of us are experienced world travelers!

Thanks to you all regarding the tips about sandals. I found a very lightweight, waterproof and even pretty KEEN sandal at Eastern Mountain Sports on sale. After testing out gear on a hot day, I've decided that an umbrella is my #1 weapon and whisper thin ankle length skirts are weapon #2.

The glide gel suggested is brilliant. I also found the "magic cloth" that someone mentioned. It actually becomes cool when wet! I am all set now! Thanks again to all. I am so impressed with your sharing and the quality of your practical tips!

Posted by
213 posts

I am near Rome now and it was quite hot in Venice. I loved my sleevelss Land's End shirts which dried quickly. I have a simple travel skirt from REI that is great. Inexpensive linen capris from Old Navy and a scarf to add fasjhion but soak up the sweat! I have done great with a pair of Chaco sandals (great arch support); tennis shoes and a pair of Birkenstocks. All clothes mentioned wash up easily in the sink and have dried quickly. I threw in a elastic clothesline with hooks an suction cups and it has proved invaluable. Camelback filter water bottle that i fill up in bathrooms and at fountains.

Posted by
2393 posts

thee - so glad you found some things that work! Have a great time! Rome is amazing!

Posted by
1315 posts

Love taking along a kerchief, getting it wet (ice cold water best) rolling it up and tying it up around my neck. Cools me off instantly. Agree, water is super important too.

Posted by
4512 posts

Rome is not humid, don't think Florida, more like Tucson in May. Dew point in Rome now is 55 so definitely not muggy and humid.

Avoid 11-3:30pm and it's fine.