Please sign in to post.

Guidebooks...Italy 2020 or Best of Italy?

We will be going to Florence and Rome just 8 nights. Which book would be better and why? I suppose I could buy one and get the other from the library. Which to buy?

Posted by
5697 posts

If you don't mind the weight, check both city books out of the library and take them along for your 8 day trip. I did this for a 1-week Switzerland trip -- kept the book in a ziploc to make sure it got back to the library in pristine condition.
You can also read the Italy book ahead of time for general Italy i information. Best of had prettier pictures.

Posted by
3311 posts

Any of his Italy books would be a great choice for practical information. BUT, the RS guides basically cover the highlights and the places/things that primarily appeal to middle-aged Americans.

I would suggest that you buy or borrow a second travel guide from a different company - I like the RS guides for practical information and Lonely Planet guides for information on sites the RS books don't cover.

Posted by
32253 posts

Lulu,

I usually prefer the full sized country guidebooks. They have a lot more information, cover more places and are also good reference for planning future trips (at least for a couple of years).