Please sign in to post.

Great Dolomite Road

I can't figure this out. Rick's description of the Great Dolomite Route is as follows: "By car, circle north from Venice and drive the breathtaking Grande Strada delle Dolomiti, or Great Dolomite Road (65 miles: Belluno–Cortina d'Ampezzo–Pordoi Pass–Sella Pass–Val di Fassa–Bolzano)"

I've been pouring over Google maps and can't figure out the route. I will be driving the route westward from Cortina to Bolzano in the same direction as the article. However, it seems that when you reach the top of the Sella pass you have to turn around and go back down it to get to the Val di Fassa, and then on to Bolzano . Any comments or help?? Thanks

Posted by
2911 posts

Hi Neil,

We've done 4 trips to the Dolomites since 2001. To see spectacualr scenery and drive great mountain passes, there's no need at all to drive "The Great Dolomite Road" as RS or anyone else has laid out.

Are you doing this drive, Cortina to Bolzano, in 1 day?

I'd suggest driving from Cortina through the Lagazuoi area, then over the Valparola Pass into Alta Badia, through the Alta Badia and then over the Gardena Pass, through the Val Gardena to the A22 to Bolzano.

If you wanted more mountain driving:

The Sella Pass branches off the Gardena Pass before reaching the Val Gardena. Take the Sella Pass to Canazei and then into the Val di Fassa and the Costalungo Pass into Bolzano.

If I had to pick just one pass I could drive in the Dolomites, it would be the Gardena Pass.

Paul