Please sign in to post.

GPS and car seats

Hi,

We usually use our iphones and google maps as a GPS in the U.S. Will this work in Italy? If not, would you advise buying a GPS here and bringing it with us or getting it from the car rental company. Not sure which is more cost-effective. We reserved a car through Autoeurope for the week we are in Italy in July and there is an option to reserve a GPS.

Also, for car seats we have a 3-year-old and 9-year-old. Clearly for the 3-year-old we will need to either bring our car seat or reserve one. But for our 9-year-old we haven't used a booster car seat in at least one year. By law he doesn't need one and he's certainly big and tall enough. But I read somewhere that in Italy the law is you have to be in a booster until 10 or 12? Will the car rental company or anyone call us on on this or is this an ignored rule?

Thanks for the tips!

Posted by
2768 posts

Google maps works but loading the map requires data (which will cost a ton if you don't buy a special plan and monitor your usage). Once you load the map GPS itself doesn't use data - you can watch your blue dot move in real time. I use an offline map app to minimize the data issue.

Can't help on GPS units

Car seats - they are required longer there. 150cm (4'9) and 36kg. If your child is bigger than that I think you are legal. If not you are breaking the law. I don't think the car rental agency will measure your child but I am not sure about how strict the police are if you are stopped for any reason. I'd get a travel seat, or rent a booster but that's just me.

Posted by
11194 posts

GPS--- several years ago I found that buying the Italy map for my Tom-Tom was MUCH cheaper than renting a GPS from the rental car agency. I am too technologically challenged to offer any advice about cell phone gps

What I like about a GPS unit is you do not need to have cell service, just power to the unit and a view of the sky

Car seats-- I would contact the rental agency and have them advise you what the law is there for car seat use.

While driving the week I had a rental car in Italy, there were occasions I saw the police pulling cars over ( randomly) for whatever inspection they were doing. I would not count on some law being "ignored"