Please sign in to post.

Gondola Ride - Venice, Italy - April 2018

My husband and I are seniors and have visited Venice many times. On this trip, we want to hire a private gondola for a tour on the waterways off the Grand Canal. The gondola holds up to 6 people and we are looking for others to join us and share in the cost. We have found a highly recommend gondolier who speaks excellent English and gives a comprehensive tour. We would like to do an hour tour during the day which will take us thru the Cannaregio, Santa Croce and San Polo, plus a romantic tour inside small channels and away from the usual tourist routes.

Here are the regulated prices in Venice for gondola rides.

The gondola ride during the day (if it ends before 19:00 (7:00 PM)) costs 80 euro for 30 minutes. For 45 minutes 120 euros. For 1 hour it's 160 euro. The dates that we are considering are: Wednesday, April 4, Friday, April 6, Saturday, April 7 or Sunday, April 8, 2018.

If you are interested in sharing the cost and ride, please let us know. Thank you.

Posted by
261 posts

We would like to do an hour tour during the day which will take us thru the Cannaregio, Santa Croce and San Polo

Don't think "comprehensive" is exactly what you'll get, because one hour goes by fairly fast in a six-person gondola. Not to mention, six people in a gondola, depending on their body size, could make for a very uncomfortable ride.

The service may promise to touch three sestieri, but one hour does not provide enough time to adequately tour the canals of Cannaregio, Santa Croce, and San Polo in a boat with no motor. I question your chances of finding a quality "tour" here.

I sure hope the "romantic" tour you wish to take does not include six people.

Posted by
2 posts

We have done considerable research on this and read extensive reviews on this gondolier. We are not looking for a romantic ride. We are going to explore canals off the beaten path. We are not interested on going on the Grand Canal. Ideally, we would like for another couple to share the cost.