Please sign in to post.

Gluten Free in Italy

Hi: My husband and I are going to Roma, Siena, Florenza, Cinque Terre, Varenna and Milan. One of us must eat Gluten Free, do any of you have recommendations for restaurants.
Much appreciated. Carol

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you both... food is such an amazing part of the culture in both Canada and Italy. I want to go prepared so I don't take away from my husbands Italian Food experience and enjoy it myself. Thank goodness that wine is GF.
Carol

Posted by
16309 posts

Carol, Italy is the European country which I find the easiest to eat gluten-free. I don't think you need specific restaurant recommendations as much as an understanding of what to order. Think risotto, polenta, salads, grilled fish and chicken, grilled vegetables. These dishes are wonderful. Avoid, of course, pizza, pasta*, and bread. As for soups and sauces, you'll have to enquire, or just avoid those as well. Many people like to carry a "gluten-free" card explaining the issues in the local language, but I've never needed to do that; I just choose carefully.

*Some places might offer gluten-free pasta, but I've never found it worth ordering.

Breakfast can be a problem, as Italian breakfasts are usually very plain and simple, like bread and butter and jam. Sometimes there will be fruit and yogurt as well, or you can ask for that. I also carry an emergency supply of gluten-free granola just in case,

Posted by
16309 posts

Carol, I see that website that Steve gave you doesn't mention Italy specifically. But I assure you that your husband can have a wonderful food experience there, even without pasta or pizza. I've never felt the least bit limited in my menu selections in Italy. And after discovering risotto there, I've learned to make a very good version at home.

And yes, of course there is the wine. . .

Posted by
881 posts

Italian children are actually all tested for Celiac's when they get to school. The country is extremely well educated about it in general - but also including chefs and wait staff.

And unlike "American" Italian food, so little of it is bread and pasta (as mentioned)!

We had no problems in Rome and Venice with my gluten free mother, and in all the other areas of Italy I've been to she would have been able to eat fine.

Hope you have a great trip! The restaurant cards do help!

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you this will be very helpful.
Am having alot of fun researching hotels and sights we will possibly investigate as well as trying to remain open to the spontaneous pleasures that await us in Italy. Knowing ahead of time about restaurants will at least give us a back up plan,if we just don't happen upon the right spots. Was in Italy 1 1/2 years ago with my sister and Robin our Rick Steves guide took care of my needs when we were with the group. This time I know it is up to me and so I am doing lots of homework.
Thank you again

Posted by
53 posts

I am Gluten free as well and had no problem eating in Italy. All the Farmacia's (pharmacy), marked with a glowing green cross sign, sell gluten free food in Italy. This is because it it considered a medical condition in Italy. That was one of the best tips I received for my trip :) Their gluten free food is wonderful!! I cannot say enough good things! So much better than the options offered here. My favorite brands were Guisto and Schaer. They have a variety of breads, snacks, pasta... almost anything you could want. It became an adventure for us to go into all the farmacia's we passed to see what we could find! I miss the Shaer bread and chocolate croissants! Unfortunalty you can't get these products in North America (especially not the same selection), so enjoy it while you are there!

Also, most Italians are educated about celiac disease, as it is more common there, so the phrase "senza glutino" will be very helpful in restaurants!

Posted by
12 posts

Stephie: Are you kidding me chocolate croissants... You have to tell me where you got them... because if that place isn't on my agenda now it will be.
thank you also for the brand names, and the phrase Senza Glutino.
Will brand it into my brain.

Posted by
53 posts

The chocolate croissants, Giusto brand, I believe I bought in the Farmacia in Florence. Florence, Milan & especially Rome seem to have a Farmacia on every corner..just look for that glowing green cross sign that they all have. Some have a bigger selection than others...If you don't mind sparing a few minutes here and there while sight seeing, I would stop in all of them :) I don't remember seeing any in the Cinque Terre. Also, I haven't been to Siena yet (will be going in June!) but I expect they have many Farmacia's based on the size.
Some of my favorite products were, of course the chocolate croissants, Giusto chocolate muffins with soft chocolate center (yum!), hazelnut wafer cookies with nutella in the center....I also brought several pasta products home to try and they were delicious! Everything I bought exceeded my expectations!

Posted by
12 posts

Stephie this is fantastic. I was excited about going back to Italy but now I am really excited. Are you familiar with Delphi Forums Celiac Blogg you should check it out if you haven't already.
Thanks again for adding this very special element to my trip.
Carol

Posted by
12 posts

Sam the website you sent me was also fantastic. It actually has locators for everything gluten free. Fabulous feedback
Thank you
Carol