Please sign in to post.

Getting to the airport in Rome

We have to get to airport in Rome for a 7;45 a.m. flight to Paris and the US.in Feb.2011. Where is best place/area to stay and what mode of transportation should we plan on to get there on time? Do you need to be there 2 hours early?

Posted by
23276 posts

Two hours is fine at that time of morning because it is consider a domestic flight so don't make the mistake of going to the international terminal. I would stick with two hours but an hour and a half would work. Second, stay in Rome and enjoy the evening and have your hotel arrange a shuttle.

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Shelley. If your hotel can't arrange a shuttle, I suggest using RomeCabs (www.romecabs.com). We used them for our transfer from the airport to our apartment. The price is very similiar (if not the same) as a taxi and they're very reputable (lots of positive reviews on this and other forums). I made a reservation with them months in advance and on the day of our arrival, our plane was approximately 5-6 hours late & I worried that this would effect our reservation. Someone from Romecabs was waiting outside the luggage terminal for us and they were very friendly and helpful.

Posted by
2207 posts

As Frank says, two hours ahead is plenty for a domestic flight. But the Leonardo Express does not start until 5:52 AM and the FM1 from Ostiense and Trastevere also does not start until usually 5:18 AM (if it's on time), so your best option would be a taxi or a private shuttle. Thus, you can really stay anywhere - although it's usually less expensive to stay in the city center (inside the Aurelian Walls as per the taxi fare agreement to the airport). This link outlines the multiple options to the FCO airport **** http://tinyurl.com/go-fco ****

Posted by
358 posts

I was in Rome 09 and had a similiar early flight to CDG airport and took a taxi which had a fixed rate of 40 euros. Traffic is light in the early morning and 2 hours is plenty of time for your flight.

Posted by
842 posts

Shelly, use Rome Cabs. They are awesome and so dependable. We NEVER hire cabs, but used them for a transfer from Ciampino Apt and FCO. On time, great drivers, and clean cars. Go to theoir web site, plug in your trip, and you will find rates.

Posted by
1116 posts

I agree about using Romecabs (romecabs.com). Our flight was 3 hours late arriving to Rome (Oct this year) and I was worried about our driver but sure enough he was right there with a sign with our names on it when we arrived. They cost E45, they work on an honor system, they don't even ask for a credit card number! We also used them on the way back to the airport, they know the roads and will tell you how much time you need when you make your arrangements.

Posted by
1021 posts

Another vote for Rome Cabs. I would stay in central Rome and enjoy the city. We shoot for two hours prior to the flight for peace of mind about getting there in case anything untoward happens like a flat tire on the taxi which has happened to us before.

Posted by
1170 posts

Have your hotel arrange a car (taxi) to take you to the airport. It is a 45 Euro flat rate and worth the money not to have to hassle with public transportation. Arrive 2 hours before departure (Rome==>Paris). If you were flying to the U.S. 3 hours would be necessary. EDITED

Posted by
7565 posts

Depending on what time the Cab or service picks you up, there is an allowed surcharge above the 40 euro for off-hour service in the wee hours of the morning. I believe it may be 10 euro or so, but will be spelled out when you make arrangements.