Please sign in to post.

Getting to Matera

I will be coming from Naples, to Matera. Is the bus easy to get to? I will be going to Bari (and Alberobello) next, and had planned to rent a car when leaving Bari, to continue towards Cortona.
Or, should I rent the car when leaving Naples and skip the bus altogether?
Never been to South Italy, so I have lots of questions!

Posted by
11365 posts

We prefer using rental cars and find it much easier. You will love Puglia!

Posted by
886 posts

Hello Charolette,

Bari is the east coast hub and the natural jumping off point for Matera. https://www.amoitaly.com/matera/access.html
You can catch a bus or a train to nearby Matera and then a shorter bus but approaching from the Naples side is less straightforward.

Would you consider going to Bari by train or bus and the moving Matera until after you get a car?

Bari > Alberobello > Matera > Cortona perhaps?
This seems like it would make the most sense to me.

My $.02, have a great trip!
=Tod

Posted by
1237 posts

My plan was to spend 2 nights in Matera, on the way to Bari. Alberobello would be a day trip from Bari.

Posted by
172 posts

We spent a few weeks in Puglia two years ago, mostly using the trains. Matera and Alberobello were our most memorable stops. Do one or two nights in each if you have time instead of just a day trip. We spent several days in Bari; it was nicer than expected.

I recommend taking the train from Naples to Bari. Rent a car for Alberobello and Matera.

Posted by
15441 posts

I like to rent cars for Puglia. Much more efficient than public transport.

You can stay in Matera or Alberobello or Locorotondo. They are not far from one another.

Matera is about 1 hour drive West of Alberobello.
Locorotondo is less than 10 min drive East of Alberobello.
Martina Franca, a pretty baroque town (a small Lecce), is another 10 minutes drive south of Locorotondo.
So basically Alberobello, Locorotonda and Martina Franca are all next to one another and easily visitable by car. Matera is not far either.

From that area, if you plan to visit the beaches, Polignano a Mare is very close (half hour drive).

Bari is a big city, not ideal for cars, but all other small towns are easier to visit by car.
Matera also is not big and you can park on or near the parking at Piazza Cesare Firrao (except for market days) and you can walk to the Sassi from there.

Posted by
62 posts

I'm confused about your itinerary. But never mind that, from Naples you can go to Matera without a car on Trenitalia. First leg is Naples-Salerno on a Frecciarossa and connect in Salerno to Freccialink bus, very easy and relaxing. Departs Napoli daily I think around 2pm? You purchase it as one ticket Napoli Centrale-Matera. From Matera you can take public transportation to Bari, or if you want, there are car rental agencies in Matera. I rented a car in Matera and then moved on to Valle d'Itria.

Enjoy your trip.