Please sign in to post.

getting married in Italy?

If we have a civil ceremony here in the US, is there anything we need to do to have a "ceremony" in Italy? My daughter is getting married in September 2009 and wants to get married in Italy. However, I heard there are many "strings" attached to getting married there! Help!

Posted by
32 posts

Jackie...

We're in Italy right now and we came over to attend our friend's wedding. Once we get back to the states, I'll let him know about your post. He can answer all your questions.

Posted by
10344 posts

Use the search box upper right to find the previous discussions on The Helpline and separately on the Graffiti Wall of getting married in Italy--use the search phrase married Italy (don't use quotes). Browsing those posts, you'll know everything we here know about this. People have needed wedding planners there to take care of all the requirements there and have felt some frustration with the process. If you are not Italian or EU citizens, it's not going to be easy like getting married in Hawaii or in some countries.

Posted by
23547 posts

I think it is relatively easy to arrange a wedding "ceremony" in Italy or anywhere else as long as you are not trying to make it a legal wedding. We have been to several wedding, including our son, who arranged a ceremony in the foreign country but for legal purpose was married in the US in a private ceremony. I think that is the easiest way to go.

Posted by
14 posts

If you want to have a civil ceremony in Italy, they are only done in the city hall (which are usually beautiful old castles/villas). You need to arrive @ 2 days before the ceremony to fill out paperwork there. It pays to hire a wedding planner, who will handle making the appointments at the consulate for you and get everything translated.

It isn't hard, just some red tape.

Posted by
1455 posts

My sister got married in Lake Como, in the village of Duonco (?). She said she asked the consulate in Los Angeles for the information, had to get stuff notarized, and relied on her wedding coordinator in Italy to help. She didn't comment on how hard it was, so I am assuming its not as hard as it sounds.

She got married in a wonderful villa. On the day of the wedding, they hired a boat to take us to the village, where the Mayor did the civil ceremony. Then the boat took us back to the villa, and we had the reception there.

PM me if you want to see the blog my husband did to get an idea.

Posted by
401 posts

If you want to just do a "ceremony" in Italy, then it isn't hard. If you want to do something legally binding either in a church or in a civil ceremony then it gets more difficult.
Towns have different requirements, but most make you post the bans at least a week before, and you need legal notorized translations of your birth certificate into Italian and well as other documentation.
I would definitely get someone here in Italy to organize it for you, there are wedding planners just for these kinds of destination weddings. I let my husband handle it all...but it is definitely more than showing up two days before and filling out a few forms.

Posted by
10 posts

Our daughter got married in Italy in a civil ceremony that Washington State recognizes as a legal marriage. She had a wedding planner in Italy who did most of the work. The worst part was going to the Italian consulate to "testify" that they were free to marry and then dealing with the American Embassy in Rome to get the proper papers. The ceremony was done in Italian and English overlooking the sea in the town of Positano. It was well worth the "hassle" to have the ceremony in Italy. If you are catholic you have more options and your parish priest can testify that the bride and groom are free to marry. Get an Italian wedding planner and enjoy the trip.
Paula

Posted by
15 posts

Allow me to ask a dumb question; all this red tape wouldn't be necessary for those who just want to renew their vows, right?

Posted by
4555 posts

Bob....no, there's no legal requirements, since it's not a marriage. All you need to do is find someone to "officiate."

Posted by
15 posts

Yeah, I thought so. And I'm sure that finding someone to perform the ceremony would be fairly easy. Thanks!