Please sign in to post.

Getting married in Italy

I'm trying to plan a week long trip to Italy in early March (it's the only time we can do it). We are hoping to get married while we are there. I was thinking Rome and then maybe down to somewhere beautiful on the Mediterranean - coast of Italy or maybe Sicily. Would like to keep it affordable. I expect we'll spend about 7-8 days total. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PS - Yes, we are hoping to do this in March 2009!

Posted by
23290 posts

Within the last year this subject was discussed in great detail. You might try using the search box. If you are thinking of early March 09, then timing is a problem. Getting married in any foreign country is generally more complicated than most people imagine. Not like going to Vegas. One other option would be to have a ceremony in Rome but get legally married in the US so that you don't have to worry about all the hoops in order to have a legal marriage in Italy.

Posted by
3 posts

I think we will get married in the US and maybe just have a nice little ceremony - even if it's completely private.... Input on places would be great! We'd like to try to keep this as affordable as possible. Even if we only hit two cities, that would be fine. Rome is a definite. I've been there but I want my fiance to experience it. I would love the second destination to be relaxing and romantic.

Posted by
1201 posts

congratulations and good luck.

Not sure you have enough time to get this pulled off unless it's March 2010.

Do a search here for weddings in Italy. Lots more requirement than here in the US because of paperwork and translations etc.

Here is a link to the US state department's Naples consular office which covers most of the area south of Rome on what is involved.

http://www.usembassy.it/acs/marriage/marriage-naples.asp

If you seriously interested in getting it done. Then you might want to hire a wedding planner that specializes in Italian weddings.