Please sign in to post.

Getting into Riomaggiore in June 2016

I am traveling to Riomaggorie this June by car and according to the article below we may be denied access to get there. We have a hotel reserved but may not be granted access in. Does anyone know where we could safely park our vehicle, then get on a ferry or train and travel in without being denied access.
See below

TRAVEL TRAVEL
It's About to Get Harder to Visit This Popular Italian Tourist Spot

by Michal Addady FEBRUARY 17, 2016, 11:19 AM EST
E-mail Tweet Facebook Linkedin
Share icons

Riomaggiore, one of the five villages that make up Cinque Terre.
Photograph by Robert Alexander—Getty Images
It’s reducing the number of visitors by 1 million.

One of Italy’s popular tourist locations is about to become more difficult to get into.

The country reportedly plans to introduce a ticketing system in an effort to significantly reduce the number of people visiting Cinque Terre, a Unesco World Heritage site. The area is located on the Italian Riviera coastline and is made up a five small seaside fishing villages, each one centuries old. According to the Guardian, Cinque Terre has become more popular for tourists, especially cruise lines that have shunned some Mediterranean ports, like those in Tunisia, following militant activity.

The villages received about 2.5 million tourists last summer; the ticketing system will limit that number to 1.5 million. “We will certainly be criticized for this,” Vittorio Alessandro, president of the Cinque Terre Naional Park, told Italian newspaper la Repubblica. “But for us it is a question of survival.” Residents of the area say that visitors, particularly large groups from cruise ships and coach parties, are overwhelming for their communities.

Devices will be added to the roads leading to Cinque Terre to measure how many people are headed there. Access will be shut down if it reaches a certain number. Tourists will be able to purchase tickets online in advance, and there will even be an app that will show congestion levels in each village.

Posted by
15146 posts

That article was prompted by an unfortunate statement by the Director of the Cinque Terre National Park, who floated the idea of posing limits to the number of tourists at the Cinque Terre. The Director of the National Park may have the power to limit the number of people walking the hiking trails inside the National Park but he has no jurisdiction over access to the towns by car or to the ability of people to get there by train. The car access is regulated by the City governments and there is so far no intention by the mayor to close roads. Even if the City decided to limit access to non resident cars, you would still be able to park at the Parking structure at the La Spezia station and take the train from there (which is a recommended option for you even now). Obviously it would be impossible to stop tourists from reaching the villages by train. The villages are along a major rail line connecting Genoa to Rome, therefore I don't even know what that Director was smoking when he stated that. It would be unthinkable to stop trains along that railway line, which is used by tourists and residents alike. The Cinque Terre are in fact real villages where people actually live, they are not a theme park. In fact that stupid public statement was immediately refuted by the Governor of Liguria, who said publicly that there will be no limits to anything and added that the Director of the National Park should shut up and not make stupid statements on matters on which he has no jurisdiction which could negatively impact the tourist season (the Governor belongs to the opposing political party, so the criticism was very strong). The Cinque Terre are an important source of revenue (and tax revenue) for the Region of Liguria and the news, reported worldwide, scared the hell of tourism operators who also criticized the Director of the National Park for making it.

You options to reach Riomaggiore by car are 2.

1. Park in La Spezia at the large multistory Station Parking structure (open 24/7) then take the train to Riomaggiore.
  2. Drive to Riomaggiore then park at the small parking structure (2 story) at the entrance of the village. You won't be able to drive further than the parking garage as access is restricted to residents and service cars beyond that point, therefore you will need to proceed to your accommodations on foot (besides streets are so narrow there is no parking).

Option 2 is the one I always used (I have never used option 1). But that's because I'm lazy. Option 1 is actually faster, costs less (the parking in Riomaggiore is not cheap). Also the parking structure in Riomaggiore closes at night (at 8pm if I recall), beyond that the car is stuck inside for the night. The other thing to consider is that the last couple of km of drive into Riomaggiore is on a very narrow road which is no wider than 3 metres (10ft), but yet is a two way road. If you are not a master at the wheel, capable to negotiate a car through very narrow spaces, the chances of scraping the walls along the road are high. Often on the way down you meet a truck coming out in the opposite direction. Since in narrow road the vehicle traveling uphill has by law the right of way, I often had to back up uphill that narrow road in reverse until I got to a wider spot where the truck could pass through. If you are the type who doesn't know how to back up your car inside a one car garage without scraping the walls, driving to Riomaggiore is not for you. You are better off parking in La Spezia.