Please sign in to post.

getting from Venice to Naples

I'd appreciate discussion of the pros and cons of taking the train and flying from Venice to Naples. EasyJet air fares are competitive with rail fares, but Alitalia is more expensive. Nonstop flights are shorter than the train trip. Is easyJet a reliable airline? Is the rail trip scenic enough to warrant taking regardless of time or cost? Thanks for any advice.

Posted by
8124 posts

I've been on Easyjet a couple of times, and found them to be very reliable. But they're very strict on luggage, and when they say one carryon they mean one carryon.
The one thing Italians do well is run their national rail system. And with fast trains, travel from Venice to Rome and on down to Naples is a breeze.
I don't know that the train trip will be called scenic, but it will be an adventure of sorts. I'd suggest staying on the ground and taking the train with reservations. Tickets can also be purchased up to 120 days ahead at great discounts--and you won't have to pay $45 for a taxi or $15 for a vaporetto to the Venice Marco Polo Airport.

Posted by
2622 posts

We did this route by train in April and liked it just fine. Left Venice at 7:25 am and arrived in Naples at 12:35 pm. We walked to the train station in Venice and had a car pick us up in Napes to drive us to Positano. I will usually take the train unless it's much more than 6 hours travel time on the train - I j just find it easier than flying. As to whether or not it was scenic - I'm easily entertained, I think, but I thought it was a fine ride...I've had prettier rides through Slovenia, but I was perfectly happy on the train to Naples.

Posted by
381 posts

Valerie,
Would you share the company you used to pick you up in Naples and take you to Positano???
Thanks!!!

Posted by
4637 posts

I would take a train. It's about 5 hours; downtown to downtown. Considering getting to and from the airports, being there 2 hours ahead, hassle with security, I don't think that the plane is significantly faster if at all. The train ride is not superscenic but you will still see more than from the plane.

Posted by
4105 posts

First, is your end destination Naples or the Amalfi Coast?

Using the same starting point of S.Marco...

Vaporetto-Venezia S.Lucia 40minutes

Train. Venice-Naples 5H41m.
1 change in Rome.

Total 6H35m.

Aliaguna-airport. 1H15m.
Plan to arrive 1H45m before flight.

Walk to terminal. 15m.

Flight VCE-NAP. 1H10m

Total. 4H15m.

If you are continuing on to the AC the Curreri Viaggi bus is right outside the airport and will get you to Sorrento in 1H15m. Cost. 10E

My vote is air.

If you have luggage concerns, use Easyjets flexi fare.

I would not use Alitalia in this instance because you stop in Rome making their flight around 3hours.