Please sign in to post.

Getting from Rome airport to city

We are arriving at the Fiumicino airport midday. We’ve heard mixed recommendations for how best to get to our hotel in Rome’s city center. Any advice on using a Rome taxi or scheduling the airport shuttle bus? Thanks!

Posted by
2623 posts

I was there, solo, in late April. While I have easily navigated public transit upon jet-lagged arrival to other major cities, I didn't feel I wanted to do that in Rome, so I headed out to the taxi stand and quickly had a very pleasant driver--make sure the taxi is white, with license number on the door and says Roma on the plaque; if it says Fiumicino they will use the meter and you don't want that. The fare is capped at 50 euros if going within the Aurelian walls, which is where the main areas visited by tourists are. Going back at 6 am I had the hotel call, again capped at 50 euros.

Posted by
6561 posts

Or take the Leonardo Express fro FCO to Roma Termini
14 euros/person

We always just take a cab
Go to the official taxi rank in front of terminal have your address ready to hand to driver

Do not go with anyone offering a taxi elsewhere

Posted by
8221 posts

If there are two or more traveling, grabbing a taxi @ 51 Euros is hardly anymore expensive than taking the Leonardo Express into Termini and then taking a taxi to your hotel.

We had a taxi a week ago take us from a hotel in the suburbs to the Rome Ciampino Airport. The hotel had a handheld device, and they could have a cab at their front door in 2-3 minutes. Very efficient place for cabs.

Another time, we took a cab, and NASCAR Cup drivers don't have anything on the driving abilities of a Rome cab driver. Our trip was downright exciting.

Posted by
5021 posts

Nothing wrong with taking an official taxi as they have a flat rate into the city. But for just a few euros more, you can use a private car service named Rome Cabs. Not a regular taxi company despite the name. We've used them a number of time from the airport to Rome and back and have always been pleased with the service. It is so nice to have someone meet you inside the terminal and wisk you to the car and then the hotel. Send them an email with you needs and you should get a reply within 24 hours with the price and details. If they can not fill your needs, perhaps they can refer you to another company.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you, everyone! Very informative and fun replies!!!! 🚕🏎️

Posted by
2 posts

We booked a ride (in advance) with Rome-Chauffeur: https://www.rome-chauffeur.com/transferservice/airports/ (I tried to book with Rome Cab, but they were sold out for the day we were arriving. They referred us to Rome Chauffeur.)
After our long flight and getting through the airport, we were so glad to see Daniela from the company, ready to take us directly to our rental in Rome (near the Vatican). It cost about 70 euros; I believe the taxi fare is 50 euros. For us first-timers (family of 3) to Rome, it was well worth the extra 20 euros. She spoke English and was very professional and helpful. We would do it again.
For our return, we booked a taxi through the Free Now app: https://www.free-now.com/. That trip was 50 euros plus the 1.50 fee that FreeNow charged. (We had great luck using the app whenever we needed a taxi in Rome.)
Happy travels!

Posted by
1172 posts

Love Rome Cabs. They are efficient, on time, and a good alternative.

Posted by
2573 posts

We took the train and then walked. But I just wanted to add to the conversation that the line for a taxi at the train station was crazy long. If you anticipate needing a cab on arrival (as opposed to walking), I would take a cab (or private transportation) from the airport.

Posted by
6754 posts

We arranged pickup at the airport through our hotel and just looked for the person holding a sign with our name on it.

Posted by
1598 posts

I arrived in Rome by train in mid June, late afternoon, and was in a cab within 3-4 minutes.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks again for everyone's help and experiences. The short story is that we did the official taxi and it worked, but next time we will book with Rome Cabs instead.

The hesitation was that we were unsure how long it would take to navigate customs and had heard about the company called Airport Shuttle leaving before their passengers made it though, leaving passengers to get a taxi anyway. Too much uncertainty for us, so we decided to just get a regular white taxi for the 4 of us. So when we arrived at the airport at noon on a late-June, Friday, we took a moment and purchased our first espressos. By letting the rest of the passengers go ahead, we breezed through customs. But it seemed they all went to the taxi line. We couldn't see the twists and turns in the line ahead, so we committed to it. Eventually we realized it was the longest taxi line ever - probably an hour. Our driver, however, made up for some of that lost time and zipped in and out of lanes to our hotel. Next time we will know what to expect at the airport and will reserve Rome Cabs or Rome Chauffeur ahead of time.

Posted by
17 posts

@David, on our first trip to Rome in 2009, we were ushered into a private car? Cab service, at the airport. Sounded like a good idea at the time. And not much more expensive than the train. However, we dubbed the driver, Mario Andretti. We were happy to arrive at our hotel. Alive!