Please sign in to post.

getting euros

We will be in Italy next week. Are we better off using the ATM machine or the bank to get our money?

Posted by
4152 posts

I always use the ATM. Make sure your bank knows you are traveling so they don't put a fraud hold on your card. I also only use ATM's attached to a bank that is open. If there is a problem with my card getting "stuck" I can go in to get help while my husband stays with the machine and our card. This way no one can come and take it like they do in some of the ATM scams. Another thing I do is have the bank raise the daily withdraw limit so I don't have to use the ATM as often.

Donna

Posted by
927 posts

What I would do now is take some large cash to pay the hotel in euros bought at an exchange bank in the states. Do that Up Front and In Full and get the discount as a pre-pay but only to a trusted hotel. Then use what is left for walk-around money, and if you spend all that, then use the ATMs, and C-cards. Money Belts are good if you've de-nominated the money to smaller bills. You'll want a wad of small Euro denominations. They really don't like making change over there.

Posted by
32214 posts

Barbara,

I usually travel with Eu$100 or so, which is useful for expenses until I can get settled and find the nearest ATM.

ATM's are absolutely the best way to obtain cash. Note that travel funds must usually be in a chequing account with a four-number PIN. A backup ATM card is also a good idea.

Cheers!

Posted by
1018 posts

I exchange some dollars for euro at the airport so I have some currency when we arrive. After that we use the ATM's as we travel. Going inside a bank to exchange money is a long, expensive, time consuming, and miserable transaction. Use ATM's.

Buon viaggio,

RB