Please sign in to post.

Getting Around

My husband and I will take our first trip to Italy this year. We will fly into Naples at noon and spend our first night in Sorrento. We, as so many others, would like to stop on the way at Pompeii to see the ruins. We know the most direct way is to catch a bus from the airport to the train station and then take the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii and get off at the Scavi stop. However, we also understand that the train is packed and you are usually squished and re-squished and there are so many rules about watching out for pickpockets and thieves. Is there an alternative way to get from Naples airport to Pompeii that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (we can't pay for a taxi) and is perhaps a bit safer? Question 2: If there is a decent alternative, then is catching the Circumvesuviana from Pompeii on to Sorrento any better than getting on at Naples - less crowded and a little safer for a weary traveler? Question 3: ...If that is true, can you purchase a train ticket to Sorrento at the Pompeii Scavi station? If not, alternatives? One more question for any kind souls who take this on, we understand that there is a left luggage facility at the train station and another free left luggage facility inside the Pompeii entrance. Is one better than the other?

Posted by
23349 posts

First, unless it is rush hour, we have never been squished on the train and had room for our luggage. Granted, pickpockets like to work packed trains and tourist but we have never had any problem. Since Sorrento is a short distance from Pompeii and train fare is cheap, I would go to Sorrento, drop luggage, and come back or do it another day.

Posted by
244 posts

We took the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento. It was very crowded. We kept our luggage with us. Our husbands had to stand. It was very hot, but we did not have any problems with pick pockets. The train ride was fine, but definitely need to be aware of your surroundings. On the way back from Sorrento we took the ferry. We definitely liked this better! Once at the ferry terminal we took a short taxi ride to the train station.

Posted by
703 posts

when we stayed at sorrento we caught a bus from naples airport to the train station at sorrento. then a short walk into the center of town with our bags. the bus ride was OK. the bus was old but the views were good.
we caught the train to pompei as a day trip. we deliberately sat near the drivers end of the train. on that particular day there we only a few 'interesting' people on the train. but not any problem.

when we left sorrento we caught the same train , but this time back to naples. ( in the morning) once again we sat near the driver ( also there was a place for our luggage) the train was absolutely packed by the time we got to naples. unbelievable!

i would visit pompei if you have sufficient time to enjoy it, are able to walk around and enjoy it ( not tired) and take water and sun protection etc, as it is huge and exposed. but definitely well worth it. BTW the train and train stations are old,small and not perhaps what you might be use to. re luggage storage.

Posted by
2455 posts

You don't say where you are flying from. If you are coming on a long international flight, you may well arrive very tired and/or jet-lagged. I myself would not want to deal with trains, luggage and try to absorb a very large, complex and hot site like Pompeii in that situation, and then continue on to my lodging. I suggest you take the direct bus from Naples Airport to Sorrento, check in and have a leisurely stroll and dinner in Sorrento. Make Pompeii a day trip from Sorrento, more fresh and relaxed and without baggage. When I did that as a day trip, I actually began with Herculaneum, then Pompeii, then back to a Sorrento before dinner time.

Posted by
32225 posts

jan,

Upon arrival in Naples, you might consider first taking the Curreri Viaggi bus from the airport direct to Sorrento. Check into your hotel and drop your bags. Once there you can decide if you have the energy to take a trip to Pompeii. I wouldn't as I usually need a power nap after arrival just to stay awake to a normal bedtime at the destination. Pompeii is going to take several hours to visit properly, and I wouldn't want to do that in a foggy, jet-lagged state.

You can easily visit Pompeii the following day, when you're not hauling luggage or too many valuables. Money Belts are a good idea for travel anywhere in Europe, but especially on the Circumvesuviana. Are you only staying one night in Sorrento?

Posted by
11613 posts

Ken has a good idea, transportation on the day of your arrival may be a lesser issue than fatigue at a very extensive archeological site.

The pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana work in groups, surrounding their target and employing distractions or crowding. Take the bus if it's your arrival day.

Posted by
15868 posts

We didn't have any issues on the Circumvesuviana but took all the precautions one should take anywhere at all in Italy. I'll vote with Ken and Zoe for going directly to Sorrento, checking in, and then seeing how you feel about taking on Pompei. It covers a vast amount of ground and may exhaust you quickly unless you're well rested to begin with. If your trip is during summer, it's also likely to be very hot in the afternoon. This one may better be left to another day when you can do most of your exploring in the morning and after a good night's sleep. The Circumvesuviana is the most efficient, cost-effective method to the scavi from Sorrento.

The Curreri bus is good option from Naples airport to Sorrento.

Posted by
11294 posts

Everyone else beat me to it, but I just want to agree. My main concern with your plan wouldn't be the Circumvesuvania, it would be trying to see Pompeii on the day of arrival, jetlagged. It's a large and potentially very tiring place. Go right from NAP to Sorrento on the direct bus, and see Pompeii as a daytrip from Sorrento on another day, when you're better rested.