Please sign in to post.

Genoa or Pisa

For those who have been to both locations, if you had to pick one of the two, which would it be?
Thank you.

Posted by
5687 posts

Between the two, I'd choose Lucca. LOL

OK, I've been to Pisa twice (once a day trip, once overnight) and to Genoa once (day trip). Neither one really excited me. (I gave Pisa a second chance!) Genoa has some cool old neighborhoods, and some people do love the city, but otherwise I found it a sprawling city with not an abundance of charm.

Lucca is a really cool town with narrow lanes within multi-story old buildings. Near Pisa.

Have you been to Turin? Really cool former capital city of the unified Italy until Rome took over. Not nearly as touristy as the usual Italian tourist hot spots but feels like a big, important city due to its original status as an important capital.

Going to either Pisa or Genoa is not a mistake. I am glad I visited both. If it has to be one or the other, I'd probably choose based on practical considerations (how well does either one fit into your itinerary?). Pisa does have the iconic Tower of Pisa which is worth at least seeing to say you saw it, but I'm not sure I'd choose the city based only on that.

Posted by
1457 posts

Stayed in Genoa 3 nights and in Camogli 5 nights, plus visited Genoa during other trips for the day 3 times. Stayed in Pisa 6 nights.

I'd choose Genoa for its food, Pisa for its late medieval and early Renaissance art and architecture. We enjoyed both, but were staying in or visiting them in the off-season. Neither is "charming" in the way that Lucca or Orvieto or numerous other Italian places are, but are interesting and offer many things to do and see. And eat.

I'm curious to know how the choice comes to be between these two.

Posted by
340 posts

It depends on your tastes and on what else you're visiting on the same trip.
Pisa is a dignified Tuscan town and if you like art then the Duomo is spectacular, as well as the attraction of the leaning tower etc
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspot.com/2020/02/pisa-in-january.html?m=1
Genova is a busy Italian port city, a jumble of old and new, a nice harbour but with the road zooming overhead, the Aquarium, Palazzi Rolli UNESCO, some parts smart, some grimier, takeaway fried fish under the arches by the port, traffic, more chaotic, a fantastic covered food market and the tiny picturesque Boccadasse where we stopped to picnic which looks like one of the Cinque Terre.....