Please sign in to post.

Genoa?

My family (kids 10 & 12) have a few open days before flying out of Milan towards the end of August. We are wondering if Genoa is worthwhile, or is there something else near Milan more interesting/fun. We will have been in Tuscany and The Dolomites.
Thanks

Posted by
15041 posts

Where are you coming from before going to Milan?
If you are coming from Florence (Tuscany) it makes no sense to go through Genoa. In any case of the 110 Provincial Capitals in Italy, I would rank Genoa as the 110th in terms of beauty. Said this, there are a few things worth seeing, if you are really interested. But I wouldn't go out of my way to go to Genoa.

Posted by
378 posts

How about Lake Como? I don't know if there will be enough for the kids to do but it sure is beautiful and different from Tuscany.

Posted by
15041 posts

Both Lake Como and, even better Lake Maggiore (closer to Malpensa airport), would be great choices for a few days of relax along the lake before coming home. If you go to Lake Maggiore, from Stresa you can catch a boat to the Isola Bella. There is a beautiful villa with park that is open to the public, full of Italian gardens and birds (peacocks) that will enchant your kids.

Posted by
26 posts

Thank you- I think we will aim fr the lakes. Lago Maggiore sounds beautiful and more fun for traveling with the kids- Thanks for the insights! Any suggestions for good, reasonibly priced hotels?

Posted by
93 posts

My husband and I stayed in Stresa at Hotel Saini Meuble. Rooms are 102 Euro per night. It was very clean and in a good location.

Posted by
453 posts

I second Lago Maggiore. Stesa is beautiful. You might also want to go briefly to Switzerland. Locarno is beautiful and taking a boat trip on either Lago Lugano or Lago Maggiore out of Locarno is really nice. There are many nice towns along the way to stop off at for lunch and then head onwards with the next boat.

Posted by
663 posts

LOVED Lake Maggiore/Stresa! Take the cable car to the top of the mountain for some great views, plus some rides for the kids. Villa Tarantino (spelling?) is also worth a look on the other side of the lake, and Isola Madre.