Please sign in to post.

Genoa ?

I am traveling from Milan to Nice and was looking for a stop along the way, to break-up the 5 hour train trip. Would people recommend Genoa as a good stop? Also a recommended place to stay there or nearby? Or, would someone have a recommendation for a different place to stop to break-up that train ride?
Thank you

Posted by
112 posts

I stayed there for a night and I thought that it was great. Italy is such a rich place to visit that Genoa gets overlooked. There are no museums but it has a nice harbor, most memorable for me was that I had the most fantastic plate of pesto that I have ever had. I can't recommend a hotel though, I got one through a hotel site and felt that I could have done better.

It's worth a visit.

Posted by
1883 posts

Honestly, Genoa is a huge, noisy, busy city. Nothing to see, but did have some great meals there on 2 different trips. We spent just one night in Genoa because we flew out of the airport there.

As the other poster mentioned it is a sea port, and there is a bit of beach.

The train station is out of the way, not close to anything of importance, you will have to take a cab to get anywhere.

I'd recommend Pisa instead. From the train station you can walk to the tower, field of miracles.

Posted by
73 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Bristol. It is in the fashion district. Great breakfast included in the price. It is about a 10-15 min walk to the Genova Brig. train sation. Walking down the the via Septembre the street it is on is a open air market hidden behind big garage doors.We didn't even know it was there until tuesday when the door opened up. What a feast for the eyes. We had the best time just walking as this city is best seen by foot. We found churchs, canoli, Christoper Columbus house and so many hidden alley ways to get lost in. Theres another market down by the harbor to eat at and many greay restaurants.