Please sign in to post.

Genoa

This is our second time back to Italy for a month in the last two years. We are going to be near Genoa but noticed you have never discussed it in your book?

Any particular reason?

Any suggestions, since we are going to be near Genoa (just south along the Riviera) for two weeks.

Thanks
Larry

Posted by
15193 posts

Rick Steves doesn't write on this blog, in case you expect a response from him.

South of Genoa there is water. Between Genoa and La Spezia it's called "Riviera di Levante" (Eastern Riviera). Between Genoa and Ventimiglia it's called "Riviera di Ponente" (Western Riviera). I don't know where you'll be, but in the Riviera di Levante is Portofino, the Cinque Terre, Portovenere, among other things. On the Riviera di Ponente Sanremo e Laigueglia are two famous spots.

Genoa itself as a few notable things to see, although it's not the top tourist destination in Italy.
http://www.10cose.it/genova/cosa-vedere-genova.html

Posted by
1633 posts

Genoa is a large port city. I was stuck there overnight several years ago and ended up staying in a very expensive Novotel.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you for the responses.

Just curious, since we have some family there (distant) and we're trying to decide if we should visit...Genoa that is. We are staying in Lavagna for two weeks after Lake Como (so passing near Genoa) and we were trying to determine if we should go north for sights or south. We have already been to Cinque Terre, hence why we thought possibly north, but going to Cinque Terre again won't hurt anyone's feelings.

Posted by
5 posts

we stayed in genova last week for 2 days
highly recommend it
the maritime museum was fantastic and so is the historic city centre

in fact genoa was also ruled by the doges - a few similarities betwen venice and genoa.
In fact I rank it above florence (yup)

san lorenzo is amazing.

Posted by
15 posts

That is good news, as the Maritime Museum in Venice was awesome. Another Maritime Museum would be worthwhile. Thank you.

Posted by
7737 posts

Josephbosco writes:

In fact I rank it above florence (yup)

This is more proof to what I often say: There is no one-size-fits-all approach to travel. When getting advice from a travel board (or a guidebook, for that matter) don't assume that you share the same interests.

Posted by
16893 posts

On the roads skirting Genoa this fall, I was impressed with how large it was, but that's not a selling point. Rick only covers his top 50-or-so cities in Italy for an American tourist. He wants you to get the most bang for your buck and your limited travel time and therefore recommends smaller Riviera towns. But if you've experienced much of what's in the book, you'll need more and should branch out.

The opportunity to visit relatives and have a real, local experience with them is something else entirely, which could turn into a connection you want to keep. Two weeks in Lavagna is a long time and a direct train from there back to Genova only takes slightly over one hour each way.

Posted by
383 posts

If you have family in the city of Genoa, or if your ancestors came from there, you might want to at least take a day trip into the city just to see it. We have lots of family living in the city as well as in the outlying hills, and we love the city of Genoa. However, if I were just looking at it through the eyes of a tourist, I probably wouldn't be too impressed. It has a very different feel from most big Italian cities that are on the tourist list of "must-sees." It is a city where people live and work and they love their city. It has some beautiful areas and some ugly, gritty areas. If you do go be sure to eat two things: pesto and focaccia. You will not find those foods better anywhere than in the city that gave birth to them! Good luck whatever you decide.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks Kathy.

Is this post for those only on the West Coast? ;-)