Please sign in to post.

Genoa

My husband and I are in the early stages of planning a 4 week trip, a week or so of which will be in Italy. We will be traveling by train and hope to avoid renting a car. We will begin our travels in Switzerland and are thinking of spending our first days in Italy in Bergamo. How many nights would you recommend there? I was thinking perhaps 3? From Bergamo we are planning to take the train to Genoa and thinking 3 or 4 nights there. What are your thoughts about length of time in these two locations and are there day trips from either of them you would recommend. We have only been to Italy once and that was to Lake Como, so we aren't interested in returning there this time. I would appreciate your recommendations and whether or not you have enjoyed and would Bergamo and Genoa.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
310 posts

Bergamo is very nice. 3 nights would be about right to explore the historical centre Bergamo Alta well and have a look at Bergamo Bassa. Also 4 nights in Genoa would be great. Easy day trips along the coast by train. And a bus/stroll to Boccadasse and Nervi.
By train from Genova: Santa Margherita ligure Rapallo Portofino
La Spezia then bus to Portovenere
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspot.com/2020/02/la-spezia-in-january-portovenere.html?m=1
Or Monterosso for Cinque Terre but hordes of people