Please sign in to post.

garbage in Naples

I have been told that the garbage problem in Naples is awful. Should I not plan on staying there when visiting Pompeii?

Posted by
26 posts

I'm concerned about this problem as well. My daughter and I are scheduled for 2 nights in Naples at the end of March. At first I thought they'd have taken care of the problem by that time, but it appears that this has been going on for months now. The US military is on the verge of declaring a health disaster area and moving some of their personnel out.

Posted by
10344 posts

About 90% of the people posting on this website report that they prefer to sleep in Sorrento and do Pompeii as a day trip. And the reason is not the garbage strike. If you want to see these discussions and the reasons given, search on Pompeii using search box, upper right corner.

Posted by
891 posts

Check out the Hotel Amleto in Pompeii. It is a very nice hotel, about 2 blocks from the town square. We enjoyed it very much, and got to see the town of Pompeii. We walked to the ruins and since we were close we were there early, and were able to take our time.

Posted by
6898 posts

I thought that the garbage crisis was over last September, but I'm reading the current issue of The Economist about the no confidence vote in the Italian Parliament and the article refers the "renewed rubbish crisis" in Naples. You might want to avoid Naples except to change trains to the Circumvesuviana. You'll like Sorrento a whole lot better anyway.

Posted by
151 posts

I think you would enjoy staying in another place other than Naples.

Posted by
3551 posts

I read that they have no more landfill space for Naples garbage. huge infrastructure problems.