Please sign in to post.

Garbage in Naples

We are leaving for Italy on June 1 and going to Rome first. We want to take the train to Pompei, having to change trains in Naples. Does anyone know if the garbage strike will affect the cleanliness and smell in the train station? Just thought maybe someone is there now or just returning. Thanks!

Posted by
2779 posts

Kay, it's not a strike. The problem is the city produces more trash then any of the landfills in the area can hold. Currently even schools are closed because all those garbage piles in the streets produce poisoned vapors. Unlike Central and Northern European countries (Netherlands, Ireland, Germany, Scandinavia etc) there are no strict packaging avoidance and recycling laws in place in Italy (neither are there in the US, but your country is large enough to cope with all that trash). So fact is: Even if they start to truck all the trash to other cities they'll fill up, too. No easy and quick solution on the horizon yet...

Posted by
2779 posts

Kay, I'm 100% with you on that one: It IS a shame! For Naples, for Italy and for mankind!

Posted by
3580 posts

Recycling is being practiced in the Cinque Terre, so the garbage situation is being faced in some parts of Italy.

Posted by
1 posts

Kay - Just yesterday I did the train from Pompei to Naples. There was an apparent pile up of trash around the roadside garbage bins but I didn't notice anything at the station itself. I think that the train to Pompei is your best option and very easy. Have a good trip!