Please sign in to post.

Gamin Nuvi 255W and Maps for Italy

We are planning a road trip through southern and central Italy (starting off in Sicily)in Feb/March 2013. We have a Garmin Nuvi 255W and would like to get maps of Italy. I'm not too tech saavy. Can I purchase Italy only maps from Garmin as a download and approx what will they cost? Someone mentioned SD cards with maps? We will definitely need a GPS. Should we rent a GPS? I hope to take along an IPad or IPad mini ... is it possible to get maps for my IPad and forget a GPS??? Would the maps for an IPad guide me as a GPS does? I think that it is obvious from my questions that I am one confused lady! Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted by
337 posts

go to the garmin site, additional maps include europe , then google and look for the best site to buy. I'd suggest a official garmin reseller. Italy and Greece are 69 usd download or sd cards. You can even get a tom tom app for your iphone

Posted by
67 posts

You do not want to use the iPad as a GPS in Europe. First of all, only the 3G/4G version will work for navigation, not the wifi only model. Secondly it will eat data like crazy, and depending on your carrier it can get quite expensive. I would use the iPad for maps only. CityMaps2Go is an excellent and inexpensive map app. The best use of the iPad is the free downloads of the Rick Steve's audio tours! Just remember to bring a splitter if two of you want to listen at the same time.

Posted by
1018 posts

Until recently we used our Garmin 265W with the European sd maps card. You can buy a 2012 version of the European maps from Garmin or Amazon. With Amazon you have a good chance of buying it with free shipping. You could also buy a download from Garmin. We suggest you also buy a good map because the GPS can take you on some unusual field trips. Buon viaggio,