Please sign in to post.

Galleria Borghese

Hi.
Been to Rome a number of times but never to the Borghese. I understand some of the rooms are closed and art moved to the Barberini. Is Borghese still worth a visit? Does anyone know how many rooms are closed?

Thank you.
Gina

Posted by
8823 posts

I found my visit to this Gallery overwhelming due to the sheer volume of art being displayed not only in the building but the building itself. I think that even 1/2 of the art could be removed and you would still have a very satisfying experience.

Posted by
27708 posts

The second floor is closed. My impression is that many visitors find the first floor the strongest. The Bernini sculptures are fabulous.

Posted by
16409 posts

My impression is that many visitors find the first floor the
strongest. The Bernini sculptures are fabulous.

Amen. I would have paid a full ticket fee just to see those!
Do take time to take in the details of the building itself though? Especially, the ceilings and trompe l'oeil decoration in some of the rooms are just nuts. If you have the time to run over to Palazzo Barberini to see the paintings, I'd do it; that €5 ticket price is a bargain.

I am assuming your trip is sometime before Nov. 1? or so?

Posted by
36 posts

We loved the Borghese Gallery and the walk through the park before and after. The sculptures and paintings are absolutely incredible! I consider it a must-see!

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you everyone for all the helpful info!
After all that, I think the only date we can go is sold out! Sigh...will keep looking however.