Please sign in to post.

G8 Summit 2009 and Schengen Agreement Suspended.

I read over the weekend that Italy has asked, and expects to be granted, a suspension of the Schengen Agreement during the G8 Summit timeframe (from June 18 to July 15). How will this effect travel to Italy? I am going to be in Europe the first two weeks in July, and am scheduled to be in Italy from July 8-12. I will be flying out of Rome on the 12th of July. I am traveling Europe by train, and will be entering Italy via the overnight train from Vienna. When I made my plans and reservations I did not know that I would be in Italy during the G8 Summit... What should I expect, and should I be concerned?

Posted by
8682 posts

I'm confused, concerned about what. Train travel? The fact the the agreement was suspended or that you'll be traveling in Italy when the summit is taking place.

Much to do about nothing Robert especially if you stay away from L'Aquila Abruzzo where the summit is being held.

Posted by
45 posts

I guess I am just wondering about border crossings. I will be traveling via overnight train from Vienna to Venice. Will I need to show my passport on the train or at the station? Will there be any restrictions different than normal? etc.