Please sign in to post.

From LAX to cruise Eastern Mediterranean from Jun 24- July 1, 2017. Options ?

We are a group of 6 adults and 2 kids ( 9 and 11 y.o.) to cruise the Eastern Mediterranean, starting and ending in Venice, June 24 to July 1, 2017. We want to stay for 3 days and 2 nights in Rome, either before or after the cruise. I am paying for everybody and so I am looking for less expensive option for this vacation. Should we fly from Los Angeles to Rome, take a train from Rome to Venice and get on the cruise ending back in Venice; then take the train again to Rome and fly back to Los Angeles? Or should we just fly from Los Angeles to Rome, train to Venice then fly from Venice to Los Angeles?

Posted by
15270 posts

It's up to you.
Take these things into consideration.
1. There are no direct non stop flights from LAX to VCE (or viceversa), while there is a direct non stop flight from LAX to Rome (FCO) operated by Alitalia (in codeshare with Delta). To fly to VCE (or return from VCE) you'd need to connect to some other hub (like Paris CDG, AMS, JFK, ATL, FRA, etc.). For sure I don't recommend to return to the US from VCE because flights to the US depart in the morning and reaching the VCE airport (which is in the mainland) from the historical center of Venice (in the middle of the lagoon) is a long process as it involves boats. So whatever you decide, I'd recommend you return to the US from FCO, which is only 30-35 min from the city center of Rome.
2. The full fare (called "base") cost of a one way ticket from Rome airport station (Fiumicino Aeroporto) to Venezia Santa Lucia (or vice versa) is over €90 and up (depending on class) per adult one way (kids get 50% discount). If you purchase ahead of time you can save with the economy/super economy fares, however those fares are not refundable/changeable therefore you must be certain about the date/time you book.

For the reasons expressed above, my personal choice would be to visit Rome at the end of your trip (after the cruise). Whether you want to fly in and out of FCO or fly into VCE and return from FCO, is a decision you'll have to weigh in based on convenience of flights and cost. As I mentioned the train adds about 100€ to the cost per person, so if the air ticket to fly to VCE going and coming back from FCO is the same as flying in and out of FCO, you save by flying to VCE on the way there. But maybe you might like the convenience of flying non stop from LAX to FCO with Alitalia with no layovers. But you could also fly Alitalia non stop from LAX to FCO, then fly with Alitalia on one ticket from FCO to VCE. If the cost is the same as flying to FCO only, it might be worthwhile, that way you save on train fare going (travel time is similar, once you consider the transfer from VCE to the city center of Venice).

Posted by
7175 posts

Yes, fly in to Venice a few days before your cruise. On return to Venice, take the train to Rome and fly home from there after 3 or 4 nights.