Please sign in to post.

Frecce Trains

Hi everyone! Does anyone know, do Italian frecce trains run year round on generally the same schedule? I am looking at Roma FCO to Firenze SMN, and if you look at the schedule for a few months out, it does not show any frecce trains (either direct from FCO, via Roma Tiburtina, or via Roma Termini). Just the longer regionale.
If they do run year round, does anyone know how far out the schedule gets posted?
Assuming its possible to travel safely in November, I am looking to bring over a group of ten family members just prior to the US Thanksgiving holiday. Because its a large group a little more advance planning will be required.
Thanks in advance for your support with this question.
Best,
Mo

Posted by
2840 posts

It's 3 months in advance for booking the Frecce trains.
I've never seen schedules change that much but you never know these days - best to remain flexible.

Posted by
3169 posts

If I’m not mistaken, there are no direct trains from FCO to Firenze. You must take the Leonardo Express from FCO to Roma Termini and leave for Florence from there. The journey takes about 2 1/2 hours and there are numerous trains scheduled on this route every day. Note that Trenitalia offers discounts for groups of 10 or more passengers. You might also want to speak with one of their authorized US travel agencies.

Posted by
6153 posts

There are direct trains FCO to Florence
It’s at about 2 pm if I recall

Posted by
15835 posts

If I’m not mistaken, there are no direct trains from FCO to Firenze

You're almost right! :O)
There is currently one Trenitalia Frecciargento train running directly from Fiumicino airport to Firenze Santa Maria Novella at 13:53 (yep, you pretty much nailed the departure time, Christine!) Takes 2 hours and 18 minutes, no changes, no stops.

Posted by
3812 posts

It's 90 days because of Covid. In normal times it's 6 months, from June to December and from December to June.
The summer schedules have been decided: with the notable exception of some local trains in the Cinque Terre (that stop running around late October), what's running now will be running according to the same schedules up to December 12.

One thing that could improve in the Fall is the number of direct high speed trains between FCO and Venice via Florence and Bologna. Those trains need foreign tourists and an international airport working at full capacity to cover the costs Now there is only one direct train per day at 13:53, but with the end of Covid they could add 2 daily runs.

I wouldn't dare to purchase 10 tickets in advance. If your flight was severely delayed and you arrived at the airport station more than one hour after the departure of the booked train, you'd be forced to buy 10 new tickets at the full walk-up "BASE" fare.

PS Since a single high speed train costs around 25 million Euro, they run all year. Otherwise it took 10 years to break-even the purchase cost of each train. Without mentioning the cost of keeping them parked somewhere while watching millions of potential customers flocking into Italotreno's high speed trains.

Posted by
20201 posts

You don't see Frecce trains in November because Trenitalia is only scheduling them out in 30-day blocks for the time being due to the pandemic. Right now, Frecce trains are only scheduled out to Sept 19. It will probably be August before you can see the November schedules for fast trains. Thanks to Dario for pointing this out.

Edit. Too late, he's already chimed in.