Please sign in to post.

Form 4457/CBP - Registering expensive camera/ipod etc?

Hi! Has anyone filled out the Form 4457 before? It is to avoid paying duty on things I already own when I come back from Europe. I plan on registering my 2 ipods, my Canon dSLR camera and my martin guitar. Please, hold on the advice about what I am taking with me, I just want to know if anyone has experience with the form. Can I submit it at the airport? (Boston, Logan Intl) or do I have to go to the CBP office in Boston? Thanks!!

Posted by
15016 posts

You can go to any CPB office, including the one at the airport, and fill out a form. (You must bring all the items with you.) They will stamp it and you keep it. You do not have to show it to anyone unless they ask about where you purchased the items. In other words, Customs doesn't keep a copy and you never "submit" the form.

A lot of people here will tell you not to bother with it, that they've been to Europe 8,627 times and have never had a problem. My suggestion, with the stuff you're taking, is to get the form. 99% chance you won't need it, but if you're going for any extended length of time, it would be wise. Less hassle when you return.

Posted by
168 posts

I have a question after reading this post. Where do you find this Form 4457? I never heard of this before but now am thinking it might be good for me to fill out for my trip I'm taking in 4 weeks. I also will have some camera's and Ipods between my husband and I.

Thanks for posting this!

Posted by
492 posts

I didn't do this our last trip for my Nikon DSLR, had no questions asked, made sure the hubby had a photo of me with the camera from before we left just in case. Probably won't bother for this next trip either. If you do go ahead with this paperwork, let us all know if it was even worth it when you get back.

Posted by
83 posts

The form is at : http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

I am hoping that I can just have it ready, arrive a little early at the airport and have it done there the same day I am flying out. It seems like not a lot of people end up needing it but I like the better safe than sorry approach. I will report back after my experience.

Posted by
15016 posts

I keep one up to date..takes no time to do it.

I've been traveling overseas for a long, long time. I have never had to display the document to prove anything I brought with me was bought overseas. But the one time I'm questioned, I'll be ready.

And Melissa, the customs office at the airport is somewhere on the airport grounds but not necessarily where flight arrive from overseas. You can get the actual address from their website

Posted by
158 posts

My family traveled to Europe a few years ago, each of us with an iPod and my dad, a semipro photographer with his HUGE bag of Nikon camera gear. We didn't have to deal with this form.