Please sign in to post.

Food Tours in Rome

We are very excited (and hopeful) for our RS Best of Europe tour this May (planned & rescheduled since 2020). We have 2 days in Rome before it begins. I see food tours on tripadvisor and am wondering if anyone has done one before and if you recommend a specific one (that's less than 100 euros pp if possible)? Thank you in advance. -Terri

Posted by
6041 posts

Eating Europe tours are fantastic
The am Trastevere tour was tons of fun and so much good food
Many here also recommend the pm Trastevere tour

www.eatingeurope.com

Use EATWELL10 for a discount

Posted by
288 posts

I'll second Eating Europe--we did the Testacchio tour back in August and it was great.

Posted by
478 posts

Another vote for Eating Europe's Trastevere tour!

Posted by
427 posts

I don’t think you can go wrong with either tour listed above. We also did the Testaccio tour and loved it, though Trastevere came highly recommended also.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey terribee
eatwith.com code HAPPY2022 for 10% off if booked by jan 31
put in your filters and see what's available
cookly.me
put in rome and filter for a food tour
getyourguide.com/ rome
under interests: food
withlocals.com/ rome
filters: food tours
so many food tours around, you'll have a great time in a short span of time in rome. enjoy
aloha

Posted by
2184 posts

Princess Pupule - thanks for those additional sites. They hadn’t come up during my searches, although I know you mentioned them in several threads. I looked them up last night and it looks like there are some fun options with a little more flexibility. I had already looked at options with Through Eternity, EatingEurope and Streaty Food tours, but these additional options gave me some that would fit our time better. Which ones have you tried so far?

We have done the Through Eternity Pizza & Gelato tour. Other than getting lost trying to find the meeting spot, it was a great tour. There were only 2 of us on the tour but the guide was very attentive and we had a great time even though it was pouring rain. We visited spots that were tucked away (hint: grab a business card or take a picture of the name of the places you eat) and definitely not tourist spots. There was so much food that was our meal for the rest of the day.

Posted by
9562 posts

Yikes Aimee — that would not make me happy !! I am sorry you had a subpar experience. For that kind of money, they should deliver what they promise !!

Posted by
92 posts

I was also not super impressed by the Eating Europe tour I did in Rome. I had already been in Italy for a couple of weeks so that might have been part of it - i had already eaten a lot of the food that was served on the tour. In somewhere like China, I would definitely recommend a food tour, but in Italy, I feel like it’s not really needed 🤷‍♀️

Posted by
6041 posts

Aimee- I would be sure to make Eating Europe aware of how that guide treated you

Posted by
32735 posts

I'd agree that feedback to the company would be a good idea.

Aimee you were being pushed behind his personal business and that isn't right. What does his house purchase have to do with your tour, or any other personal business.

You paid for his services and for him to pay attention to you. If he is doing personal business that isn't what you paid for.

I don't know about the changes made to your tour - a polite question to the company as to why may result in an answer.

What "cause trouble"? What does a trip to the zoo for his child have to do with your tour?

If this caused you enough trouble to write about it surely he caused you and your daughter "trouble".

Posted by
3812 posts

But Nigel is right, he deserves to loose his job. I can understand quickly greeting a friend you haven't seen since 2020, but five phone calls? Five?

The Pyramid is in the middle of the road , not far from a metro station. It's nothing special, think at fake Gondolas in Vegas. Same for the Romans and Egypt.

Anyway... May I kindly ask what the f. Is a "fake" ice-cream? One made with undercover soya milk?

Posted by
2374 posts

I enjoyed the Eating Europe tours I took, but if a guide isn't doing their job, the company needs to know because it affects their business.

Posted by
6041 posts

What Nigel said

Every tour I’ve ever been on has asked for feedback and I’m happy to give it
Luckily the guides we’ve had are most always excellent But if I had any criticism I’d givethat as well
It only helps the tour company maintain their good reputation

Posted by
6041 posts

Not sure if it was a request actually sent to me
Our guide made a point to ask for it and made sure we knew his name so he got the credit

Posted by
106 posts

When in Rome last September, we did the Roman Guy's (local) Trastevere food tour which I would highly recommend. I wrote a little review of the tour on an earlier post.

Posted by
288 posts

Aimee I'm curious who your guide was if you're comfortable sharing. I ask because although I truly enjoyed our Testacchio tour, our guide also took a few personal calls (he mentioned his young son which makes me wonder if we had the same person). He's a musician and I guess was trying to deal with some bookings? Not sure but although the overall experience was enjoyable and I did find him attentive 95% of the time, I do agree that it was a bit off-putting.

Posted by
288 posts

I agree--several calls is a bit much. But I also understand your reluctance to complain about him because he was super nice and sweet! We actually took his card at the end of the tour and considered going to see his band but didn't end up doing so. :)

I wonder if we went to the same restaurant at the end--it also wasn't my favorite part of the tour but that's mostly because I learned I'm not a big fan of amatriciana lol. I also don't remember us getting suppli but we did get a digestif at the restaurant. We had a choice between amaro or limoncello, I believe.