Please sign in to post.

Food tours in Rome

Okay, a surfeit of riches. The Roman Guy, Secret Tours, Eating Europe (formerly Eating Italy), Food tours of Rome, and I'm sure there are more.

Which is your favorite? I'm leaning toward Secret Tours, but their prices are nonrefundable. That's a definite negative, since so much can come up in the next 6 months. We do have trip insurance, but I'm not sure it covers things we hadn't booked yet.

Any particularly memorably good, or bad, experiences? We did a Gourmetaly tour about 4 or 5 years ago, and enjoyed it.

Posted by
1015 posts

Last summer took the Eating Italy Twilight Trastevere tour with my husband, our friends, and two college-aged girls. We enjoyed it enormously. The only recommendation is to take the tour early in the trip. There were a couple of places the girls wanted to go back to, but they were closed on Sunday and we were flying out on the Monday.

Posted by
1056 posts

Eating Europe is very good. I’ve taken both Testaccio and Trastevere. While I enjoyed both, I preferred Testaccio.

Posted by
4053 posts

The Rome Bites Tours of Trastevere we took was recommended by our apartment host but I didn’t think the tour was dynamic enough. I think a big issue was that our guide had only lived in Rome a few months and didn’t seem to know how to keep us interested between getting from one eatery to another. We certainly had enough nibbles and drinks that evening but the stories lacing the history together were missing.

We too booked our tour for early in our 5 day Rome visit but our guide didn’t point out any restaurants as we walked from Campo Fiori to Trastevere.

I think there are better tours for you to take. Enjoy your time in Rome!

Posted by
6473 posts

Hi, Mona! Thanks for the tips.

And thanks to the rest of you, as well. Just had to give a shout out to Mona; we met up in Haarlem a few years ago and shared a few beers.

Posted by
2252 posts

Ditto what Patricia said. I thought both food tours in Rome from Eating Europe were outstanding. Lots of food and drink plus a terrific walking tour as a bonus. We did take a Secret Food tour in Paris and it was excellent, too. I think it's a toss up. Go with your gut (so to speak!) feeling!

Posted by
118 posts

I have done the Eating Europe Twilight Trastevere tour twice and loved it both times.

Good thing about their tours is that they are refundable up to 48 hours before the tour I believe, and if you are looking for a deal, they usually have a great Black Friday sale which is this week.

Posted by
6473 posts

Ooh, I never think about Black Friday, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

Posted by
585 posts

Another shout out for Eating Europe - I did Testaccio when it was still Eating Europe. Testaccio is an interesting area of Rome off the tourist track but with plenty of history...loved Mt Testaccio which is made out of smashed Roman olive oil shipping urns....a very impressive man-made hill. Our guide was Luna who was great. Aside from lots of finger food, we also had a pasta lunch with wine. Certainly didn’t need dinner that night! Also the tour included the Protestant Cemetery, the new Testaccio market, the old Stockyards (now used as an arts centre).

Posted by
6473 posts

lanlubber, I've been leaning toward Testaccio, rather than Trastevere. Thanks for the plug. Monte looks interesting, as well. Elizabeth Minchilli does Monte tours, but she (and her daughter) will be in Umbria that week.

Posted by
2387 posts

hey hey jane
another option is having dinner in someone's home.
travelingspoon.com select destinations - italy - see what's available
eatwith.com has dinners with locals and food tours
foodtoursofrome.com
withlocals.com has some food tours and dinners with locals. also check day trips if interested. "beautiful countryside day trip: castelli romani"
oldfrascati.com stop at ceralli.it oldest bakery/pizza oven in the village of frascati, 30 minutes from rome by train. nonna is 93 years young and still baking (lacucinaitaliana.com/nonna rosanna's pupazza frascatana)
italymagazine.com/lake nemi and it's wild berry info about the area and villages near the lake outside rome in the countryside.
marketsofrome.com
different things and places to think about. enjoy your research and please let us know what suited your fancy. have fun and enjoy
aloha

Posted by
6473 posts

Thanks, Princess. As usual, you give us lots to think about!