Please sign in to post.

Food tours

What is your opinion on food tours? I’m considering taking one in Venice, but I am not sure if it is worth the time and money.

Posted by
44 posts

We did a bunch of food tours while on a recent trip to rome Bologna and Venice and loved them. Great way to see a lot but also get frequent rests with great food. Took us to places we would have otherwise missed. In Venice, we did Liv Tours and it was charming. I saw less expensive options on air bnb experiences.

Posted by
6218 posts

We’ve enjoyed every food tour we’ve done
In several diff countries
Always fun. Always good food, sometimes too much!

One of the best was Alessandro’s cichetti tour in Venice
It’s mentioned here often and highly recommended
A search will find you his website

Posted by
226 posts

Walkertobi, I will research that site and Air BNB also. I’m glad you had good experiences.
Christine, I have heard of Alessandro’s bar tour before and they were many positive reviews. Everyone said it was fun. I found his site, but there is no price information, so I emailed him. I thought it would be a fun way to spend our first evening in Venice. Walks of Italy had a 3 hour tour for $96 which sounds like it is more food, less wine. We are in Venice 4 nights so we have time for a tour.
Thanks to both of you.

Posted by
28 posts

Allora! Another vote for Alessandro’s cicchetti tour in Venice. My husband and I and our three sons in their twenties did this tour in May. Alessandro is a hoot!!

Posted by
2455 posts

I have also really enjoyed food tours in many countries in Europe, including Alessandro’s cicchetti tour in Venice. I advise taking the food tour on the first or second day in a city, as you will learn a lot about local foods, and can get some excellent restaurant recommendations from your guide, for the rest of your visit. For my ill-fated spring 2020 visit to Italy (cancelled due to Covid!), I had food tours scheduled in Rome, Florence and Bologna!

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey kathy
we love food tours, some things you will taste and never think about. so many tours are out there, many cost more than people are hoping. with the pandemic, out of work, inflation, not enough help to hire and costs of ingredients add up. as long as you're traveling add it into you travel costs to enjoy and see what that city is famous for.
after a food tour, you're so full that maybe just a glass of wine and no dinner saves you for the cost of dinner that the food tour makes up for.
it's a situation all over the world so enjoy what you can. i did my own tour of the "best" eclairs in paris, stopping at the many patisseries with all the yummy desserts. some were really sweet, some were perfect. some cheaper than others, one was 20E OMG but it was a fun day to enjoy.
streaty.com
couple to chose from, pick what suits your fancy
withlocals.com/ venice
check all the activities they offer
eatwith.com
type in venice. some of the residents offer tours, lunch/dinner in there house/backyard
vistacity.com
destination: venice, click food tours or street food tours
cookly.me
search venice
getyourguide.com
search venice and take your pick
schezzini.it
alessandro does a ciccheti bar crawl of small appetizers, wine and history of venice to different bars in venice. email him for more info. last i heard his tour was less than 50E and so many compliments of how fun the had on the tour
travelingspoon.com
scroll to italy then venice
theromanguy.com
venice food tours
secretfoodtours.com/ venice
i know many people recommend a rick steves site since we are on his forum. i've done some plus private wine/food tours who he recommends, have liked some and others not very happy about it. everyone wants the same things and places to see, dropping off 6-7 busloads plus vans all into same place. it's like butt to butt waiting in a cafe, or commute traffic down an alley way, can't enjoy window shopping or finding something in a gift shop, lines are so LONG and you are on a time limit, places get kickbacks going there and i was just not happy. but that's how travel seems to be with everyone wanting to get away, last minute adventure, spen 2+ years in their cocoons. i just go outside of the box and find a local that is fun to be with, not crowded and pushed around, small groups 8-10, making a living with all that's happened. they are happy to have you and give their all. i prefer inknown places not much talked about here, like siena, cinque terre, lake como "tuscany" is a huge area, san gimignano, montepuliciano, etc
i know i'll get feedback, to each your own. we took the train to a town outside venice and our private driver took us on a wonderful prosecco tour up in the hills, no traffic, family owned local wineries, local restaurant for lunch, gorgeous views of land and mountain scenery, taking vaporetto to the lido to enjoy the walk to the beach and sitting with some older italian women with our glass of wine and using hands to "talk", garage sale in back alley ways of canareggio, took train to some town about 30 minutes away or so, rented car and went to annual bardolino wine festival on lake garda, spent night, it was fabulous on the lake, had lunch at pescheira de garda outside cafe in city center. it was great
it's your vacation but i'm just throwing out some options to investigate/research. once you're prepared/done homework all is good
aloha
aloha

Posted by
118 posts

We did the streaty.com food tour recocommended by @princess pupule. It was a fabulous, and very easy to book online.

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey
@lizusa
thank you for your approval of the tour i mentioned. plus having a great time.
the currency rate is even with USA/EURO. we were there 3 years ago (paris and annecy) and rate was 1.28. what would you be doing with time/money if not on an informative tour and enjoying communication with guide and others on the tour.
have fun and enjoy
aloha

Posted by
1625 posts

100% love walking food tours. Walk to different neighborhoods that we might otherwise have missed or it's a kill two birds with one stone type of situation, meet great people, learn about the local culture and it is usually small groups because the places you will visit are small. We always have one or two on our list and always find them to be a great value because not only re you getting a walking tour but eating and drinking. Win win.