Please sign in to post.

Food in Italy -Garlic Intolerance

I have booked a RS 17 day tour of Italy. One of my concerns is the amount of garlic in food. I can only tolerate a very small amount without having a sharp stomach pain. In the US, I just avoid foods with garlic. I know that will be impossible in Italy and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what I may take prior or after eating to help minimize the problem.

Posted by
14030 posts

FWIW I enjoy (and can tolerate) garlic and most of the food I've had in Italy is under-garlic'd for my palate. I will put in the disclaimer that I am vegan so don't have a clue about how much garlic is in the meat/fish/egg dishes. I have been in Italy for the Village Italy, Heart of Italy and on the Best of Europe so no further south than Rome. My experience is also that there is plenty of food on the tours!

Posted by
15236 posts

Garlic in Italian cuisine is used in more moderation than you think. Actually I find that you are more likely to find restaurants in America that overdo it with garlic.

Posted by
894 posts

Just let the RS office know that you cannot eat garlic (as I recall they will send you a form with an area to fill in allergies etc.) and also your tour leader when you get to Italy. They are all great that ensuring your dietary concerns will be met at the group meals. As a number of people have said, food in Italy is not as garlicky as you might expect; however most Italian restaurants cook meals to order (i.e. gluten free). To be on the safe side, learn the Italian for "I am allergic to garlic" "Sono allergico/a aglio". Buon appetito!

Posted by
1918 posts

We love all the food in Italy, but we were very surprised at the lack of garlic everywhere. Maybe we are use to using so much at home that the food tasted like there was none. It was delicious food! But, I'm sure it wont be a problem for you.

Posted by
5226 posts

I agree with Roberto and find that "American" Italian food is way more garlicky than in Italy.

Posted by
11613 posts

Generally in Italy garlic is often put in the frying pan as a whole or half clove to flavor the food but is removed before the food is served. Bread doesn't come smothered in garlic, either. You may find it finely minced in chopped or ground meat dishes but that would be the only thing I can think of. If the menu says "al'aglio" or specifically mentions it, order something else or ask that the dish be prepared without it.

Posted by
16894 posts

You're on the right track with the advice above. Do list your dietary restrictions when the tour department and tour guide request your medical info. Group meals usually include two or three courses, so if you decide to just try everything, you won't be the only one not to finish it all.

Posted by
15236 posts

In addition to pasta "aglio e oglio" , you should also avoid FETTUNTA in Tuscany. That is definitely a vampire killer.

Fettunta is the Tuscan version of 'bruschetta'. No toppings though, just Tuscan olive oil and plenty of garlic rubbed on the toast bread.

Posted by
752 posts

There is No garlic in Italy, Nowhere! I oughtta know. I'm addicted to garlic, crave it especially in Chicago winters, eating 2 to 4 raw cloves a day. I know garlic, and it is in No dish in Italy.

Posted by
1059 posts

Thanks for all the encouraging words and advice. I really looking forward to this trip.

Posted by
11613 posts

Forgot about the bruschetta, bread is rubbed lightly with garlic before other stuff goes on it. Funghi trifoliati is mushrooms sautéed in olive oil with garlic and parsley.. (That one's for Sandra).

Posted by
9667 posts

Yosemite -- just another word of encouragement. My husband is Italian and also has a garlic intolerance (and since he's been cooking for me for 10 years now, I've gotten away from eating garlic too). It's actually pretty easy to avoid. Make yourself a little card or learn to pronounce

Non posso mangiare aglio

(NON pos-so man-jee-ARE-eh AH-lee-o) -- I can't eat garlic.

You should do just fine!

Posted by
415 posts

I was in Italy in March with a friend who cannot tolerate garlic (or gluten, or cow's milk). We simply described the problem at each restaurant and at no time was there an issue. My friend always had something to eat which was delicious.

All of the restaurants were very diligent about checking the ingredients and offered suggestions or in some cases, alternatives (Eg. substituted rice for pasta)

We were not on an RS tour, so I would agree with previous poster that you should notify the tour people in advance and then discuss again with your tour guide.

Posted by
16894 posts

In addition to pasta "aglio e oglio," you probably know that pesto sauce and bagna cauda dip are two more recipes that include garlic pretty prominently.