Please sign in to post.

Flying EasyJet?

Cheap flights offered from Venice to Basel via EasyJet; anyone flown with EasyJet? Are there problems awaiting me?

Posted by
8023 posts

I have flown them many times. If you buy a ticket pay heed to read their rules regarding baggage allowance and seat selection and you will not have any problems. Easy Jet is one of the most successful short haul airlines out there. They are the only airline with a direct flight Venice to Basel otherwise you would have take a series of trains.

Posted by
681 posts

I have flown Easy Jet multiple times, including this past October. No problems. Just know and respect their rules.

Posted by
33164 posts

I haven't flown with them on that route but I have on others.

Does the flight go when you want it to? I don't like getting up in the middle of the night.

If it is a later in the day flight you may run into delays because they have such short turn-arounds that if something goes out of kilter all the later flights will be affected.

Follow their rules precisely. Check in times are fixed in stone, so are weight restrictions and size restrictions. One item in the cabin means one. Not one and a "personal" item. One.

Buying checked luggage or check in at the airport is WAY more expensive than when you buy the ticket.

Use the app.

I would have thought you are borderline between train and plane on that route. Even if the train takes a couple of hours more it is travelling through Switzerland for goodness sakes. I'd almost certainly take the train.

What are you doing after Basel? River cruise? No extra charge for luggage on the train.

Posted by
3879 posts

I have flown Easy Jet out of Venice, though not that specific route. I followed their rules and had no problem. In fact, I would say it was a good experience.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks...I will look into taking train from Venice to Basel rather than flying. We are wrapping up a 3 week stay in Italy when we leave Venice. The stop in Basel was just to get us to/near Colmar. Our plan was to pick up a rental car in Basel, not spending any time there, drive to Colmar spending 3 days in Route Di Vin area before grabbing train to Paris.

Any more recommendations?

Posted by
33164 posts

Don't rent a car in Basel, Switzerland for returning to a French location. You will pay a big international drop charge because it has to be returned to Switzerland before it can be rented out again and it costs a lot to send an employee there to do that.

Either take a train to Colmar (really easy from Basel) and get it there or go to the 3 country airport and get it on the French side, but you will pay for airport pickup.

Train choices are:

Venice (Venicia Santa Lucia) to Milano Centrale, change, and then choice of the eastern route via Luzern (Ath-Goldeau), Zurich (possible change), Basel or the western route via Domodossola, Brig (possible change), Spiez, Bern (possible change), Basel.

On each of these routes if you want to spend longer and go even more scenic there are even more scenic alternatives possible, or you could take an overnight on the way.

Depending on your preference just ask...

(shame you will miss the lovely city of Basel)

Posted by
107 posts

We flew EasyJet from Venice to Budapest. No issues but pay careful attention to the baggage policy as others stated.

Posted by
2023 posts

As others have said be very careful with the luggage. I had to stuff a fairly large purse into a full carry on--it was not easy. They are very strict about the amount of luggage.

Posted by
5697 posts

Or just pay the money to check a bag (BEFORE you head for the airport.) Have flown EasyJet several times, no problems as long as you know their rules and don't expect luxury service.

Posted by
32249 posts

Yes, I've used easyJet many times on various routes and they're my preferred budget airline in Europe. There will only be problems awaiting you if you don't read their Terms & Conditions carefully (that's also true of other budget airlines).

If you buy the cheapest seat, you'll have to contend with very tight baggage limits. As I recall they only allow one carry on item of a specific size, and that doesn't mean "one plus a personal item". The charges for checked luggage are based on weight and it's a good idea to know what your checked bag weighs so that you know which tier to pay for. If they find it "over" at the airport, there will be steep charges!

If you choose Speedy Boarding, advance seat selection or some of the other options, the carry-on limits are more generous. I've found that Speedy Boarding especially makes for a much nicer budget flight experience. Being able to board and get an overhead bin and get seated before the hordes is a big improvement.

It's important to check-in for your flight online and print your boarding pass, as if you do that at the airport there will be a hefty charge. I believe you can check-in several weeks or so in advance.

Posted by
15596 posts

I'll add my name to those who have flown EasyJet often. I pay a little extra for the right to bring a personal item on board, choose my seat ahead of time and board first so I get overhead space.

I'll repeat as the others have said---read the rules carefully and don't assume.

Posted by
69 posts

As long as you familiarize yourself with and are ok with the baggage policies (pay in advance if you're checking a bag), it's fine. My experience with it was that it was as good, if not better, than flying United or Delta on one of their regional routes. (Not trying to damn with faint praise--the bottom line is that it's nothing to be afraid of.)

Posted by
237 posts

I won’t reiterate what others have said but will add that if you do fly EasyJet, factor in additional cushion time at the airport. They are absolutely draconian about making it through security by a specific time, and boarding on time. They usually board earlier (as in, a wider gap of time between boarding and takeoff) than other airlines, and they aren’t flexible about it. My photographer sister once got stopped going through security so that security could look through all her film canisters, so we were delayed there and consequently last to board. Even though we were within the time window stated on our tickets (though just barely) and I ran ahead to tell them she was coming, they still very nearly didn’t let us on the flight. If we’d built in an extra hour beyond what we normally would allow ourselves we wouldn’t have had any problems.

Also someone mentioned using the app - as a backup, print paper copies of your tickets. On RyanAir once (I know, different airline, but similar vibe), they told me they didn’t accept e-tickets on their app, so I had to run to two different terminals and pay a crazy amount to print my tickets. Perhaps EasyJet’s app is not an issue but these airlines profit off these additional fees so it’s always good to have backups to avoid the mishaps I’ve encountered!