Please sign in to post.

Florence - Wine Tasting

I am a big wine-o and looking for a day trip (excursion/tour) to some wineries in the Florence area. I am staying in Florence but not renting a car. Also, it would be great to go to some wineries that are not mass producers. My two friends and I would like a true Italian experience. Any suggestions?

Posted by
23178 posts

We are just back from nine intensive days of winery visit around Florence with a car. Unfortunately, if you want a true Italian experience you need a car because some of the wineries are very small and not accessible via tour bus. Second almost all, especially the better ones, require a reservation and do not take drop in visitors. The local TI in Florence will have organized bus tours for wineries but it will to be the wineries that can handle a tour bus with tourists. I do have a reference that I will add as a PS later.

Posted by
11 posts

For wine excursions to the smaller vineyards then the company you want is "Slow days" in Florence. Their site is here - http://www.slow-days.com/ If you are looking for somewhere in Florence to do some wine tasting and learn about the region then drop in on Andrea Amadei who has a little enoteca (wine store) with a great array of wines from across Italy. http://www.andreaamadei.com/ These smaller companies and Florentine locals are well worth looking up if you want to avoid the more 'packaged' tour/excursion experience.

Posted by
82 posts

Fiat 500 Tours, Florence. It may not meet your criteria, but if you are intrigued by the tiny Fiat 500s, as my husband is, this is a fun way to see the countryside (without your own car)and enjoy a professional wine-tasting. We don't rent a car when in Europe, but this year we ARE driving one of these old original Fiats (en convoy) and can't wait. The Wine-Tasting tour includes a stop at a Villa that produces its own award-winning red and white wine, and olive oil. Light lunch included. They have a Classic Chianti tour which is a small privately chauffeured tour. 500touringclub.com

Posted by
9 posts

This was back in 2006 that I got to spend my 50th birthday on a wine tour with "Tuscan Trails" I just googled them and see they are still going strong and run by the same fellow-Todd. I must say this was one of the best days of our trip to Italy, small group size which was great, we went to 2 wineries, lots of tasting wine and olive oil, was very informative and interesting and had a wonderful lunch in the tuscan hillside,was money very well spent. I'd highly recomend this company!!! We are planning on going back in 2014 and would like do this tour again!
Kathy