Please sign in to post.

Florence where to stay

We will be in Florence for 6 nights. We would like to stay at at some sort of bed and breakfast the main goal being experience the local fair and local people. Not in the heart of Florence but need to be close enough to transportation to get into Florence easily and catch trains to Jill towns and coast . Clean and comfortable , suggestions?

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have a copy of RS guide book that covers Florence? If so, great. If not you might want to get one as it has lots of information on places to stay that we used the last time we were there. If you need one, it can be ordered elsewhere on this web site. I have no connection to the RS organization but I do go to Europe every summer for the last 12 years and always do lots of preplanning using his guide books. Happy travels

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have a copy of RS guide book that covers Florence? If so, great. If not you might want to get one as it has lots of information on places to stay that we used the last time we were there. If you need one, it can be ordered elsewhere on this web site. I have no connection to the RS organization but I do go to Europe every summer for the last 12 years and always do lots of preplanning using his guide books. Happy travels

Posted by
15168 posts

My experience with hotel accommodations in Florence is very limited since I generally stay with family, however there are thousands of accommodations in Florence, at all prices and in all categories. I would look into tripadvisor and also other online guides to see what is available. Most accommodations will be more than adequate at any budget level. Interacting with locals in Florence's city center isn't easy. The city is now a melt pot of tourists, immigrants and out of town/country students. Virtually all hotel workers, sales clerks or restaurant workers are foreigners. Of course you won't notice since they speak Italian and, many being from Eastern Europe or South America (lots of Argentinians and Brazilians of Italian descent) they also look Italian. I generally recommend the Oltrarno areas (south of river Arno, across the Ponte Vecchio), such as the Santo Spirito,San Frediano and San Niccolo' districts. It's slightly quieter and a bit less overrun by tourists (not sure for how much longer). Also there are some true Florentines left who still live in that area.

Posted by
1003 posts

Dale you might think about renting an apartment since you will be in Florence for 6 nights. Have rented apartments in Florence several times most recently this past July for 5 nights not far from Church of Santa Croce. Had a huge apt. in an old palazzo with 2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms for our group of 4. Have also rented an apt in Oltrarno neighborhood which was very nice too. Love having space to spread out. On a weekend visit from Rome we were here for just 2 nights so stayed at Hotel Accademia, located on Via Faenza and just a few steps from the entrance to the Medici Chapel. Is a very easy walk from the train station and I would stay here again. www.hotelaccademiafirenze.com A couple times we have stayed at agriturismi in the countryside and driven to Florence and parked at Piazelle Michelangelo or at the train station but you must be careful about the ZTL or restricted traffic zone which is the entire historic center of Florence. My husband doesn't mind driving over there with a gps.

Posted by
3941 posts

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/677883
(My review is at the bottom of the listing) We stayed at this charming place last Sept for 2 nights. We got it for a steal ($100 total with airbnb fee) and I see her prices have gone up some. It was about a 10 min walk down to the bus, which was then about 20min into city center. Buses seemed to run about every 15 min (maybe less early and late in the day). A gentle 15-20 min walk uphill in the other direction takes you to the bus that runs up to Fiesole among other places. Pluses - it had a lovely little kitchen (negative - we didn't buy any food), laundry, charming owners (and Parma the dog who was quite old, not sure if she's still around)...they even make their own olive oil soaps, preserves and such. Negatives - only a few restaurants in the area - we were quite hungry and too late to head into the city - the only sit down restaurant we could find was closing at the time and we managed to find a pizza place and had a quick bite. There is a grocery store nearby, was quiet area...I would stay again (but made sure I had some food to cook). I see she has a room without a kitchen, in which case they offer breakfast ( we got ours at the little corner store nearby)