Please sign in to post.

Florence to Sorrento?

Hello,
we are planning our trip to Italy September/October 2017. My question is, do we head straight down to Sorrento from Florence (as Rome will be at the end of our 3 week stay) or stay a night or 2 along the way. Somewhere like Assisi or Orvieto? I am torn on what to do and would love some advice. I know I have left out a lot of detail, just trying to get a feel for options. Thank you so much!!

Posted by
27217 posts

Time-wise, you don't need a stop-over, but both Assisi and Orvieto are lovely places worth at least one solid day of sightseeing (meaning you might choose to stay two nights). Assisi isn't on the direct path between Florence and Sorrento, but it's not too far off it.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the options for reaching Sorrento. It's not just a matter of hopping on the train in Florence and hopping off that train in Sorrento.

Posted by
150 posts

We just got back from Italy a couple of weeks ago and spent a week in Rome. We did a day trip to Orvieto and absolutely loved it. I don't know how much there is to do for more than a day, others here on the forum I am sure can help with that, but to just enjoy the gorgeous scenery, do the underground tour, and explore the shops-it is most definitely worth a stop.

Posted by
76 posts

Moonbeam, We went from Florence to Rome and then to Sorrento. Took a train from Rome to Naples(only about and hour or so trip from Rome). Naples we caught the Campania Express, which I highly recommend,that will take you right into Sorrento . If you go to Sorrento directly from Florence it would be a couple hour train ride. On the return leg take the Campania Express to Naples then another train from there to Rome

Posted by
15260 posts

Are you driving or taking a train?
The train is fast. Less than 3 hours from Florence to Naples, then about 1 hour from Naples to Sorrento (on the Circumvesuviana commuter train).
If you drive, then you are looking at about 5 hours.
Orvieto is nice to visit, but you could visit it also from Rome, on a day trip, assuming you are staying in Rome long enough (2 full days in Rome is the bare minimum).