Please sign in to post.

Florence to Siena

I keep reading posts that indicate the best way to get from Florence to Siena is by bus, rather than by train. If one is already on the train (from Venice) and stopping in Florence at the Santa Maria Novella station, does this train not continue on to Siena? If it did, wouldn't it be easier to stay on the train and depart in Siena? Thank you.

Posted by
252 posts

The Siena bus stop is within the city. The Siena train station requires a bus trip into the city. Either way, you will eventually be taking a bus whether you like it or not. But, yes, if I was already on the train, I would continue to take it to Siena. But, if I had to make a connection, I would first see if there was a bus leaving sooner because the bus and train station are a block away from each other.

Posted by
81 posts

I am normally a driver but found the bus from Florence to Siena and return much easier than the train. I would cross the street to the bus station in Florence and take the bus. The bus drop in Siena is more central that the train station.

Posted by
32213 posts

Walker, as the previous reply mentioned, the Bus station is right next to Firenze SMN rail station. You'd only need to walk a short distance, buy a ticket and a few hours later you'd be dropped off right in the centre of Siena. You might want to research the Bus departure times so that you'll be able to time that with the arrival of the train from Venice. Note that there are both Corse Rapide (fast) and Corse Ordinarie (slower) Buses. ¶ Many of the trains from Venice to Siena have a change in Florence anyway. Both methods will get you to Siena, however the Bus gets you to the centre of town rather than the bottom of the hill (where the rail station is). If you arrive by train, you'll have to either take a Taxi or the local Bus up to town). Happy travels!

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to post a reply. The information is helpful and I do appreciate it. I believe I will choose the bus option.

Posted by
6898 posts

Walker, Henry is correct. You will change trains in Florence to a Regionale train to Siena. And, secondly, the train station is almost a mile from the city wall and its a bit uphill. There is bus transportation from the train station to the City wall. The second choice is the SITA bus from Florence. To get to the SITA bus station, you walk out of the front of the Florence SMN train station an look to right. (You will see a bus station to the left but it's not the SITA bus station). Go about 300 yards and you will bump into the SITA bus station. Yes you will cross a busy street but there are traffic lights and a crosswalk. You will want the Corse Rapide bus to Siena. This is the express. Here's the link to the schedule. http://www.sitabus.it/sita-toscana/Firenze-Siena2010.pdf