Please sign in to post.

Florence to Siena by bus

Does the non-direct bus stop at interesting towns between Florence and Siena? Is it possible to get off and then catch the next bus? If so any recommendations? We are in no hurry and wanted to explore. We will be traveling on a weekend day.

Posted by
10344 posts

Tuscany bus on the weekend: you'll want to study the bus schedule Henry linked you to, to see the more limited bus schedule for Sundays. Another issue on Sunday is that some ticket counters at bus stations are closed.

Posted by
32212 posts

Renee, when I last took that trip, the Bus DID stop at several towns on the way to Siena. The problem with getting off and exploring is that one has to haul their entire kit with them which would be a bit of a nuisance for me. I've never checked, but I suppose it would be possible, although you might have to buy separate tickets for each leg? Happy travels!

Posted by
425 posts

Between Siena and Florence, there are BOTH non-stop buses and other buses which stop en-route. Most people take the non-stop bus UNLESS they have reason to stop at one of the towns in-between Siena and Florence. www.sitabus.it www.trainspa.it

Posted by
4407 posts

The 'ordinarie' bus stops at Poggibonsi and Calle Val d'Elsa; I suppose you could Google them and start some research on those towns - they aren't talked about much on the Helpline. They both stop at 'Piazzas', so that might mean they actually stop somewhere IN town, and not on the outskirts of town...THAT would be a bummer 8^0 Here's a website to get you started: http://www.ostemeraviglioso.it/pages/dove_01_e.html

Posted by
425 posts

Poggibonsi is perhaps the ugliest town in Tuscany: best not to stop here!!!