Please sign in to post.

Florence to Rome & Beyond – 3 weeks in April-May 2010

Seeking input for my first trip to Italy. I am a 55+ female who wants to extend my trip beyond the RS 9 day Heart of Italy tour which starts in Florence and ends in Rome. I’m traveling by myself, packing light & using public transport. More of Tuscany and Umbria is what I had in mind, but need some help in logistical planning. Here is the itinerary I was thinking of:

4/17-4/25 RS Heart of Italy Tour; 4/26 Extra day in Rome;
4/27 Train -Rome to Orvieto – Stay one night; 4/28-4/30 Train or bus to Assisi – Stay two nights; 5/1-2 Bus to Perugia – Stay two nights; (or should I stay 4 nights in either Assisi or Perugia?); 5/2 Train to Florence – stay one night; flight to Seattle 5/3

While staying in Assisi and Perugia I would like to take day trips to Montalcino or Montepulciano, take in thermal/spa South of Sienna, maybe a cooking class in Umbria. It would be really nice to enjoy some opera as well – even though I’m pretty sure it is not the right time of year for opera necessarily. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by
1364 posts

Yes, Steve, I am going it on my own after the RS tour and plan to fly out of Florence. I thought about taking in another day in Rome but the RS tour already is scheduled for two days there so I thought one more would be good. Do you think it is better to stay in one place in Umbria?

Posted by
1317 posts

I think it would be easier to go from Rome directly to Assisi, rather than from Orvieto to Assisi. Maybe stay an extra night in Rome and just do Orvieto as a day trip?

Posted by
2216 posts

We traveled by train to Assisi and took the shuttle bus up and down the hill with no problems. It just adds a little time to your day. Checking into buses between towns is also a good idea, but it's my opinion that the hassles of train travel are far less than the hassles of renting a car, driving a car and parking a car. We enjoyed Montepulciano more than Perugia, though both are certainly worthwhile (as is every town in Italy we've ever visited!).