Please sign in to post.

Florence to Lake Como?

Because I’m a woman, and frequently change my mind, we are considering deviating from my original itinerary and spending a couple of days at Lake Como.

What is the most efficient way by train to get from Florence to Lake Como? Given only a short time there, which train station should I travel to and where would you recommend staying?

Also the most efficient way to get from Lake Como to Rome?

Thank you !

Posted by
1041 posts

These are easier questions to answer yourself with a simple Google Map search, because you can see all of your options.

Florence to Lake Como, and Lake Como to Rome are both easy. Connect in Milan in both cases.

As for which Lake Como station, it obviously depends where you want to stay. Pick that first, then pick the train station to suit. Varenna is the transport hub of the lake, so would be the most convenient.

Posted by
870 posts

Only way there is via Milan. Agree that Varenna is best for mobility. Then back to Milan to get to Rome. Easy-peasy.

Posted by
3812 posts

On trenitalia.com , if you prefer only 1 change at Milano Centrale: from Firenze SM Novella to Como S. Giovanni (or Varenna-Esino). Then walk to the docks and take a ferry to your final destination.

If you don't mind making more transfers, on trenitalia.com enter your final destination in the "to" field. Then click search and see what happens.

I wouldn't completely trust Google Maps to plan my train trips, but You may need a better guide if yours does not list the English versions of Trenitalia.com and Italotreno.it.

Also the most efficient way to get from Lake Como to Rome?

Assuming "most efficient" means fastest, take a train from Como to Milan and then an high speed train from Milan to the station in Rome closest to your final destination. Usually it's either Roma Termini or Roma Trastevere or Fiumicino Aeroporto.

Posted by
15154 posts

To maximize your time, I would suggest staying in Varenna. Take the train from Florence to Milano Centrale and then switch to the train to Varenna. From Varenna, you can get the ferry to the most visited place.

To return, just take the same train back to Milano Centrale and switch to a train to Rome.

I would suggest you don't stay in the town of Como. It's not that pretty and is a longer ferry ride to the most popular places.

One last suggestion.....I stayed at the Hotel Royal Victoria in Varenna. I splurged and paid for a lakefront room with balcony. The hotel is nice. Being able to sit on my own balcony and take in the view was worth every penny.

Posted by
1678 posts

I would say your choice depends on what you want to do at Lake Como. If you want to just relax and stay on the Lake, I would also vote for Varenna and splurge for a lakeview room. However, if you want to go to other towns on the Lake, you could also stay in Lecco. The town isn't as hilly and it has some very nice walks along the Lake. It also has a boat line for the Lake.

Keep in mind if you choose to visit another town such as Bellagio, it is really an all day excursion. You would need to check the operations and times for when you will be there, It is a huge lake and it takes some time to go from port to port.

Posted by
15225 posts

Although the train to Varenna-Esino (via Milano Centrale) is the fastest way to get to destination, however you may want to consider the train to Como then the ferry from Como to the town of your choice (Varenna, Bellagio, Menaggio?). This option is a bit longer in time, however it would give you a chance to see the most beautiful branch of the lake (the Como branch) from the boat. I would choose this option either going or leaving.

Posted by
957 posts

Lol! I love your change of plan ideas — seems like I am doing that daily lately.