Please sign in to post.

Florence to Cinque Terre

Hi all, we are staying in florence city center and would like to take a day trip to Cinque Terre. Is it worth renting a car and heading there (to La Spezia parking car and then heading on train) or taking the train all the way? We also want to make a stop at Pisa to visit the Leaning tower (no climbling). Is this all too much for one day? I am not sure if we have carpark in florence... if we have to rent and then head out driving...where would you suggest we rent a car for the day?

Posted by
16893 posts

Pisa on its own is a typical day trip from Florence or a possible stop en-route between overnight stays in both areas, partly because it doesn't take a whole day to see the central attractions.

A same-day roundtrip between Florence and Cinque Terre is already quite rushed: 2.5-3.5 hours each way on the train, plus trying to visit more than one of the five villages. We don't tend to recommend it as a day trip, but if that were the only way, then I would not add the stop in Pisa. Or possibly add it on the way home only if/when you've decided you've had enough time in Cinque Terre.

Driving doesn't solve the problem. Driving time directly from Florence center to Monterosso still takes at least 2.5 hours one way. Parking expense and extra navigation on city streets in Pisa would be additional hassles.

Posted by
4105 posts

There's a train that leaves Firenze Campo di Marte station at 7:28. Takes 1:43. Return at 18:03 1:41. These would be the fastest trains. Allowing around 9 hours in the Cinque Terre. I wouldn't try to add Pisa to the trip.

Posted by
5687 posts

Yeah, I wouldn't drive, either, and trying to do both the Cinque Terre and Pisa in the same day is possible, it's a long day. (Maybe more practical if you aren't visiting off season when fall-winter days may be short.) If you want to do it that way, take the earliest train to the Cinque Terre. Come back through Pisa. There should be late trains back to Florence; check the train schedule and find out when they are.

You could wing it with your plans based on the weather. I probably wouldn't waste my time going to the Cinque Terre for the day in the rain. if it rains, consider day tripping to both Pisa and Lucca in the same day. At least in bigger towns there may be more to do than compete with the crowds in the small Cinque Terre towns are trying to stay out of the rain too.

There is more to Pisa than just the Tower by the way - but many visitors seem to see only that. If you don't have the rushed day with the Cinque Terre and have more time in Pisa, consider the walk from the Pisa Centrale station to the Field of Miracles (where the Tower is) and detour along the Arno a little to check out some of the interesting buildings. Not as charming as Florence for sure but interesting. The walk from the Arno on to the Field of Miracles is through an old university.