Please sign in to post.

Florence Taxi Service

Be aware it can be very challenging to impossible to get a taxi in Florence. There is a "Taxi Mafia" that keeps out Uber/Bolt/Free Now. We tried calling a local taxi service 30 minutes before we were to be at the bus for our tour. We missed our tour and then walked almost two miles for nothing. Trying to schedule a taxi for the train station tomorrow and had a local call the taxi company, and were told no reservations taken. We may have to drag our luggage for 30 minutes....Beautiful city but horrible taxi service.

Posted by
16061 posts

Where are you staying? Is it a hotel? Can you ask the desk to set you up with one for tomorrow? Not sure if that's what you meant by "...had a local call the taxi company" so apologies if you already tried that.

I don't know if this might help but Roberto, who, along with lachera, is our RS forum expert on all things Firenze, offered up 3 taxi apps in his response to this fairly recent thread. If you've already tried one, you might try the other two?

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/taxi-service-in-florence-and-lucca

A poster to this TA thread just yesterday spoke to some of the cab challenges, mentions the same most-used app for calling one as Roberto highlighted, as well as trying to pick one up from a taxi stand in/near major piazzas.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k14525585-o10-Taxis_at_Accademia-Florence_Tuscany.html

(Edited per lachera's valuable response below.)

Posted by
1566 posts

There are a few numbers to call; 055-4798 or 055-4242 (actually, the same service); or 055-4390. You do not take no for a reply and call the other one; or again the first after a few minutes. Taxis are a problem all over Italy, as taxi drivers are a powerful lobby intimidating local administrations. Basically, they are against issuing more taxi licenses to keep high the price of their licenses, no matter if there are too few taxis around. But they move votes and mayors are afraid of them.

Posted by
6633 posts

You don't mention where you are staying but there are also city buses and trams that can take you to the station.

Posted by
15466 posts

I don’t even believe this post is real. I’ve never had to wait over 5-10 minutes, but neither taxi company would refuse to take reservations.

Posted by
3 posts

I am a disabled Veteran and with all the walking this past week another long walk was something I was trying to avoid. Thanks for the feedback. My post was real. We had a local person call on our behalf today and Taxi 442 refused to agree to reservation. After our waitress got off the phone she stated she has similar problem with taxis for her elderly mother. On a high note, a waiter at same establishment had mercy on us and called his friend who owns a taxi and we are good to go. Rick is right, Italians do enjoy helping. I do think if we had stayed at a hotel instead of an AirBnb the hotel would have made a taxi happen. Next time we will stay at a hotel closer to taxi areas not in an AirBnb and learn the local bus system or I will rent a scooter.

Posted by
16061 posts

Very good to know that you've gotten help for your problem!

Yes, most Italians are lovely, helpful people. I often recommend hotels over Airbnbs or similar for first-timers or others who may feel more secure with 24/7 desk services. It can be very nice to have them at hand should you encounter transport, medical or other issues. :O)

Safe journey home!

Posted by
3812 posts

Anyway, I'd be a little more sensitive before using the word "mafia". For you it is just movies, for locals in Florence it is a bomb that killed 5 bystanders.

Especially since you can actually call a cab via app in Florence and because the Uber version you may be used to has been banned all over Italy.

Posted by
71 posts

What about the private transfers? We are going in 3 weeks and I haven’t booked anything yet. I’m still trying to figure it all out. Thanks for responses.

Posted by
389 posts

OP, try Welcome Pickups.

Otherwise the primary taxi apps in Florence are itTaxi and AppTaxi I believe