Please sign in to post.

Florence Site Time Allotments

I have been traveling to Florence for many years now, but I still consider myself an American tourist. Each time I go, I try to estimate the time it takes to go through certain sites. This is rather difficult, but everyone I talked to says that they would like this information, too. This forum is great for helping in that regard. So, at the risk of getting flamed, I thought that I would try something. I am going to give a fairly long list of Florence sites and ask fellow travelers to help us out by estimating how long is needed to see each site. I really think this would be very helpful to everyone. To get your own clean copy with paragraph breaks, copy the list below and then replace every 000 with a paragraph break. Then you will have an easily readable list. You also can put your times at the end of it and then easily recopy the list back to the forum. So here goes:
Accademia Gallery000
Bargello Museum000
Basilica di San Lorenzo000
Basilica of Santa Maria del Santo Spirito000
Battistero di San Giovanni (Baptistery)000
Biblioteca Medicea Laurenziana 000
Boboli Gardens Museum & Gardens000
Brancacci Chapel (in Santa Maria del Carmine)000
Campanile di Giotto (Giotto's Bell Tower)000
Cappelle Medicee (Medici Chapel Museum)000
Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore or Il Duomo di Firenze000
Church of San Miniato al Monte000
Cripta di Santa Reparata000
Duomo Cupola (w/climb)000
Duomo Cupola (w/o climb)000
Florentine artisans around Piazza di Santo Spirito000
Galileo Museum000
Giardino Bardini000
House of Michelangelo (Casa Buonarroti)000
Museo Archeologico Nazionale000
Museo degli Innocenti000
Museo del Bigallo000
Museo dell' Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore000
Museo dell' Opificio delle Pietre Dure (Workshop of Semi-Precious Stones)000
Museo Stefano Bardini000
Orsanmichele000
Palazzo Davanzati000
Palazzo Medici Riccardi000
Palazzo Vecchio & Towers000
Piazza de Pitti, 1 (Renaissance garden)000
Piazzale Michelangelo000
Pitti Palace000
Ponte Vecchio000
San Marco Museum000
Santa Croce Church000
Santa Maria del Carmine000
Santa Maria Novella000
Santa Trinita000
Uffizi Gallery

Posted by
646 posts

If I'm not mistaken, I think this info might be in the Florence guide book. Rick lists the places of interest and gives an estimate of how much time to allow for your visit.
I think it also depends on your interest. I just loved the Bargello and spent so much time there with Donatello's David and Mary Magdalene.

Posted by
3250 posts

Michael - This is just too subjective a question to answer. For example, we spent less time in the Uffizi and Accademia than in any of the other museums, churches and palaces that we visited in Florence. I would have loved to spend hours in the Uffizi, but it was just too crowded for me to enjoy in the same way that I enjoyed the less popular museums in Florence. I hope you don't consider this flaming, but the answers depend entirely on one's personal taste and tolerance for crowds.

Posted by
15199 posts

Michael:
If you had the time to write a post this long, you clearly have way too much time allotted in your hands.
This is too subjective to answer. Some people could spend a whole week at the uffizi and go back for more the next week.
I approach museums like I approach tapa restaurants.
When I go to a restaurant, I don't order everything on the menu and eat all day.
At most, from Antipasto to Espresso, I can have 7 or 8 things (like tapas) to taste and eat for one hour or two max.
So in any museum, no matter how big, I concentrate in no more than 7 or 8 art works and stay about one hour or two at most.

Posted by
15591 posts

Your "question" reads like a high school exam - sorry, but I'm past that.

BTW the time allotments differ not just by the sight, but by the number of people waiting to get in and the number of people inside. On a typical day in shoulder season, you may need 15 minutes or more just to be enter a sight like the Medici Chapels or to edge your way to the viewpoint on the Ponte Vecchio.

Posted by
32213 posts

Michael,

I agree with the others, this question is too subjective and also too long. Everyone will have different preferences for each of the places you listed, and there's no way to know which ones might appeal to you the most.

I'd suggest buying or downloading a copy of the RS Florence & Tuscany guidebook as that provides good information on many of the sights on your list. Look for the "triangle" symbol which rates the sights in terms of which ones are more worthwhile to visit or spend longer times in (ie: a "three triangle" designation is a must-see, while a "one triangle" is see if you have time and are interested).

Posted by
4152 posts

How many months do you have for this trip?

I agree with all the other posters, there's no way to answer this because it's too subjective. Get a good guide book or go online to the official sites and look up what each site has to offer. Based on your tastes, you can gauge how long you might need in each site once you know what you want to see there. No one can suggest to you how much time you might need because everyone is different.

Donna

Posted by
15826 posts

Ditto to all of the above. How long an individual may spend at any of these attractions greatly depends on their level of interest in what each have to offer so there's no singular answer. For instance, I needed considerable hours for the Uffizi where someone not so interested in art may have their fill of it after just a couple.

Posted by
11613 posts

First, thank you for alphabetizing the list.

I could spend two hours to two days at most of them.

Posted by
32813 posts

You don't need to be sorry you sent it - if somebody could do a study and come up with representative times that could be correlated to individual new readers it could be a nice product.

Unfortunately by asking a bunch of fellow travelers to do the work for you and giving such a long list - like a homework project - some people will not be willing to do that.

You have got a very comprehensive list of the main attractions.

Why don't you replace all the zeros with what your estimate is for each and perhaps people here could then debate individual attractions.

In such a subjective list I'm sure you will get input.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks Nigel. I really was not wanting people to do all of the sites, but pick the ones out that they liked and tell us the time they thought it would take to visit them. I have been to Florence a lot and have a list of what I think for most of them. I planned on putting it on the forum, but after I gave people a chance to give their opinion. I know that you sometimes bias some people with your own list. But, after all the negative responses, I think it best if I not do that now. I did get a lot of private responses that encouraged me and I wanted to thank your for your positive post.
Michael

Posted by
1994 posts

Michael, I want to thank you for putting the list together. I'm planning another visit to Florence and saw a couple of things I wanted to do on past trips but had forgotten. Thanks for reminding me to add them to my next trip.