Please sign in to post.

Florence Question

We will be in Florence on a Saturday and want to see the Accademia and do the duomo climb. What order should we do them? I am thinking do the Accademia first thing in the morning before it gets crowded and do the duomo later in the afternoon? Or should we reverse the order? I want to make my reservations soon so I am trying to figure out the best plan. (We will be doing the Uffizi gallery Friday afternoon or evening after we arrive in Florence from our Agriturismo near Siena)

Edited to add - we will be there in June

Posted by
402 posts

Accademia when it opens (8 maybe?) was good in October. Not sure when you're going if it'll be different. It does get busy within an hour or so, so the early entry allows you to get up close before the crowds get there.

Posted by
7662 posts

Remember that the Duomo is not open every day. Check to make sure.

I would try to schedule Accademia first. If you do it thoroughly it will take 2-2 1/2 hours.

Posted by
63 posts

I found a Walks of Italy tour that brought us through both - the Accademia first before the crowds, and the Duomo immediately after to climb the tower. It was all perfectly timed in mid-April 2018.

Posted by
951 posts

In June, the climb can get quite warm. Make sure that you allocate enough time to see the church, climb the dome, and go to the excellent museum. If you want to go to the Accademia first thing (and you can see the highlights in an hour), arrange to go mid-morning for the Dome climb.

Posted by
5697 posts

At 74 I don't climb towers -- but the (ground level) Baptistry is exquisite. Duomo Museum also really worthwhile.