Please sign in to post.

Florence Musuems

Hello -

We will be 4 travelling ( 2 teenage girls 17 and 16 who have moderate interest in art). We have 2 days ( and an evening) at florence ( one day for musuems and one day to Siena)

1. We would like to spend one day in museums - We are planning to cover 9AM-12PM uffizi, lunch 12-1:30 and 2PM at Accademia for 90 minutes and then 4:30 at Duomo for an hour. do you think this is doable?

2. What is the best way to get ticket for all 3 museums? ( B ticket or any other combo options available?).

Thanks in advance for your help in answering
Priya

Posted by
11613 posts

Very doable but if your girls aren't that into museums, you may want to visit one each day. On the day you visit the Accademia, perhaps you could spend an hour at Museo San Marco, where they could see masterpieces in the setting for which they were created (a former Dominican convent).

Posted by
906 posts

Yes, doable. Here are some thoughts for the girls. If they like jewelry they HAVE to walk across the Ponte Vecchio, the largest gold jewelry shopping area I have ever seen. The Palazzo Piti has quite a display of renaissance dresses that are impressive too.

If you are comfortable turning the girls loose on their own while you visit museums, they could have fun standing on the bridges (Ponte Vechio in particular) and watching the Italian boys go by! Or, sit in the Loggia dei Lanzi in Piazza de Singoria and crowd watch, its fun!

I can tell you the Uffizi will wear you out art wise. It is overwhelming and the tendency becomes a quest to get through it quickly so the rush comes on. Academia not so much. You don't mention The Bargello but is a wonderful museo in its own right.

Too bad you only have one day in Florence. End the evening by getting up to Piazzale Michelangelo for a great overview of the entire city. I didn't get there until my third visit to Florence and wished I had gone there on my first visit.

Enjoy.

Posted by
552 posts

The Uffizi and Accademia are doable in one day, but I think you'll really be pushing it to include the Duomo. The tickets there are about 15 Euro, so one hour may not be worth it. The Uffizi is huge and usually quite crowded, so plan to get there early. I suggest trying to get there when it opens at 8:15. You will absolutely need to get advance timed tickets for both the Uffizi and the Accademia. Otherwise, you'll spend way too much time in line. There are several sites that sell tickets; VisitFlorence.com has links to all the museums. Usually, you get a voucher (that you print from the website) for the tickets that you exchange for actual tickets there. At the Uffizi, there's a special window for vouchers. You will probably still have to wait to get in, but nothing like if you were buying a ticket there. Good luck and enjoy!

Try to do the statue of David the last hour time slot of the day. Usually less crowded as day trippers clear out. The Uffizi is packed with masterpieces. You will not see everything. Plan on 3 hours maximum for the Uffizi. That's when burn-out sets in. (You can download a free RS audio on Uffizi and view it prior to your trip.) For a quick lunch - consider Leonardo's cafeteria near the duomo complex. Cash only, budget eating, safe and clean, friendly place. Due to your limited time - do the baptistery and Duomo dome climb. If you have time the next day - you can visit the bell tower, the duomo basement (archeology site) and the duomo museum.
I don't know how much time you allowed for Siena. It's a quick and easy bus trip from Florence.