Please sign in to post.

Florence museums

We are trying to decide between making reservations for the Uffizi Gallery and/or the Pitti palace in Florence. We will only have 2 days in Florence. Is it worth it to try and see both, or which is your favorite?

Posted by
12172 posts

It really depends on your personal preference. Uffizi was a must see for me. It's one of the great art galleries. Even in late October, however, Uffizi was essentially a slow moving line of people working our way past a seemingly infinite number of incredible works of art. I wouldn't have missed it but I could see it being too much for people who don't love art.

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Elizabeth. I liked both museums (and saw both in 2 days, the first time I was in Florence) but I'm a museum person, so I might be biased. I would suggest thinking about the kind of art that you're interested in and doing some research to see what each of these museums has. You also don't have to try to see all of the Uffizi - if you're primarily interested in Renaissance art, see that section first. If you don't care about medieval art, skip that entirely.

Posted by
10344 posts

The Uffizi and Pitti Palace aren't comparable, they're not in the same category. The Uffizi is one of the most important museums in the world, the core of its collection including works of the Italian and European Renaissance. Some people are looking for that kind of experience, others aren't.

Posted by
362 posts

Yes with only two days and so much to see and experience from just walking around, etc. it is nearly impossible to decide this question without knowing much more about what you are into, etc. I was in Florence twice in my life before making it into the Uffizi, and I am a huge art lover - but just didn't want to run through there with the crowds... then again, if you aren't getting back here maybe for forever - to see some of those masterpieces may be worth it! The Pitti Palace is colossal and has so many parts/collections that I think you can definitely skip it, unless again there is something in there you are particularly crazy about.

Posted by
174 posts

I love museums and art, but frankly the Pitti Palace was just too much: endless numbers of overly ornate rooms and way too many mediocre paintings punctuated by a few very good ones. I would never bother to go again. The Uffizi is just incredible and I loved every moment of our two visits.