Please sign in to post.

Florence museums

Which recommendation you can do to us if we have limited time to visit the Accademia gallery (1 hour and 15mins) and Uffizi gallery (1 hour and 30 mins)? Please consider that this is our first time in Florence.

Posted by
3240 posts

At the Accademia, I would admire David for a few minutes and get thee hence to the Uffizi. Or, you could skip the Accademia and and spend 3 hours at the Uffizi.

Posted by
6017 posts

When is this visit and are you aware of the need to prebook your timed entry?

Accademia doesn’t need to take much more than 15 min if you only want to see David

Posted by
985 posts

I might have spent at least 3 hours in the Uffizi. I don't remember how long I spent in the Academia. I remember walking through a room containing additional small statues, in the Academia. If you really don't like art, you don't have to see either museum. You certainly don't have to see the Uffizi and/or Academia just because guidebook writers recommend them. If you do like old master paintings and sculpture, I suggest you just change your plans to allow about 3 hours in the Uffizi. You could leave the Academia 5 minutes or less after seeing Michaelangelo's David. You should buy your tickets in advance. I vaguely remember seeing a sign outside the Uffizi indicating a 90 minute wait to buy tickets. I had advance tickets and I still had to wait in a long line to get my ticket scanned and go through security. I might have arrived just before they opened.

Posted by
471 posts

On our first trip, we thought that the Accademia gallery would be more manageable than the Uffizi. I found most of the Accademia gallery to be a bit disappointing. David, of course, was magnificent. I particularly appreciated being able to walk all the way around the statue. However, next time, we're going to the Uffizi.

Posted by
2815 posts

It depends on your particular interests of course, but I'd much rather devote all of my time to an in depth visit to one museum (with the one being the Uffizi) than wasting lot of time trying to do both ... and thus not really doing justice to either one.

Posted by
15146 posts

The recently deceased Italian historian and art critic Philippe Daverio said in a famous interview that those who go to museums to see 400 frescoes in 1.5 hours obtain only to have swollen feet and be in need of a Coca Cola at the end of the ordeal.

When going to a museum one should not see hundreds of artworks, but limit the visit only to a couple of them. He said that Museums should be seen the same way as public libraries or theatrical operas.

When a person goes to a public library s/he doesn’t go to read (or borrow) all the books in the library but to choose one or maybe few books that s/he wants to read at that moment. Likewise, when one goes to the Opera house s/he doesn’t go to watch all of Giuseppe Verdi’s operas, but only to watch one opera.

In his opinion, he also added, nothing gives us the right to spend only 25 seconds to view a work of art that the artist spent years or months to complete. Doing so would be an insult to the artist.

That famous interview is below. It’s in Italian but I couldn’t find a version with English subtitles.

https://m.facebook.com/Artsupp.official/videos/come-si-guardano-i-quadri-philippe-daverio/358401321848257/

Posted by
3812 posts

David, of course, was magnificent.

I remember walking through a room containing additional small statues,

How many statues by Michelangelo do you think there at the Accademia? Ever wondered Why visitors are forced to see these statues by the same artist before the David?

Visiting a Museum without knowing nothing about it is a waste of time. There is good copy of David in the Piazza della Signoria Square, placed - more or less - where Michelangelo and the other doomed Republicans wanted it to be.

I couldn't tell the difference between the original and the copy if the former wasn't under a roof and surrounded by crowds of staring visitors.

Posted by
1478 posts

I fell in love with David, I loved, loved, loved the Uffizi.
If I returned to Florence and could only visit one museum, I would go to the Bargello and hang out with Donatello's David. That would be a great day!